Best auto cleaner for AG pool?

Elle

May 16, 2007
Northern NY
I did a search for this and haven't found anything conclusive. I would like to know if anyone uses the automatic cleaners for AG pools? I don't mind vacumming when it's warm but right now when it's so cold out and I can't reach the middle of the pool it would be nice to have on that does it for me.

Preferrably something that has it's own filter so I don't have to run it through my pool filter.

ETA: I was just looking at the pool rover junior. Is something like that good enough for what I want it for?

I think the Rover is what I have for my above ground & love it! It is in the pool running now as we speak.

It uses a fine micron bag to catch all the trash & usually comes out looking pretty nasty, even when the pool didn't look that dirty to begin with.

Vacuuming the pool is one of my favourite things to do. Yes, really! I get to be there all by myself, just me, my tequila, and my stogey :) It's sort of a Zen thing to watch the silt and whatnot get sucked into the vacuum, watch the sun sparkle on the bottom and the breeze make different patterns on the surface.

I have a Polaris but never use it. Too much trouble untangling it when it coils itself up or gets stuck against a side, mindlessly bumping into the pool wall over and over and over again, stupid thing.

I just purchased the Pool Rover Junior from Costco and love it. It initially did not work good when I put it in our cold pool water of about 50 degress. Once we got the water up to 80, it works like a charm. My husband was giving me Crud about it when I first got it, but he loves it now too. He doesn't have to stand around vacuuming. We just put it in the pool and two hours later, the pool is clean. It's amazing how much Crud is in your pool that you can't even see until you clean out the filter bag. I have two girls with very long hair. Last week, when I cleaned the filter bag, there was a huge clump of their hair (yuk!).

Now, I'm looking at getting the poolskim. AnnaK has great pics of it. I'm going to check that out next.

AnnaK said:
Vacuuming the pool is one of my favourite things to do. Yes, really! I get to be there all by myself, just me, my tequila, and my stogey :) It's sort of a Zen thing to watch the silt and whatnot get sucked into the vacuum, watch the sun sparkle on the bottom and the breeze make different patterns on the surface.

I have a Polaris but never use it. Too much trouble untangling it when it coils itself up or gets stuck against a side, mindlessly bumping into the pool wall over and over and over again, stupid thing.

I thought I was the only one. I actually do like to manually vacuum. I know it was done right, I get time to enjoy a beer and smoke, and be outside. Then I can jump in and enjoy the fruits of my labour. :)

Thanks for all the input. I don't have a costco or any place else that sells them locally. I usually get my pool stuff from in the swim but they don't have this in stock until later in June.
Anyone know where else I could get one and have it ship when I buy it? I looked at ebay too and bid on a couple but I'm almost inclined to just spend the little bit more money on a new one so I know it's going to last.

ETA: I bought one today and it should be here next week!! Yeah I'm excited!!!

I don't know if you a have a store called the great excape near you but if you do they have a cleaner made by the same company as the pool rover but it's better then the pool rover (I'm not impressed with mine too much) and it's a little cheaper. Go to shopthegreatescape.com and search for "blaze". I think that would be a sweet deal.

here's a link: http://www.shopthegreatescape.com/ecom/ ... 312a116073

Elle, I don't know if you've found a Pool Rover yet or not (if so, please tell us about it), but I just ordered one from Water Warehouse online. They currently have free 1-day shipping to certain parts of the country.

I purchased the Pool Rover Jr myself as I don't see much benefit with the Pool Rover (Sr??). Neither will climb the walls of an above ground unless you have rather large radius curves between your floor and walls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ssabin said:
I just ordered one from Water Warehouse online. They currently have free 1-day shipping to certain parts of the country.

I ordered the ROVER from Water Warehouse Friday.. I actually paid more than what a new one would have cost on ebay.. because WW offered next day delivery.. Well.. that didn't work. Even though I ordered before their 4pm deadline on Friday.. they didn't get it to FED EX until Saturday.. It's hard to have next day delivery.. when you don't even ship til the next day. Now.. since FED EX doesn't deliver on Sunday or Monday.. it will be Tuesday before my ROVER arrives. 4 days! So much for their next day delivery promise. Their customer service rep agreed with me.. that they dropped the ball.. and apologized.. but that was it.

I could have purchased the new ROVER on ebay for 289.. free shipping and no tax.. 289 out the door.
Instead I paid WW: 299.. free shipping.. (but they charge 9.99 handling).. plus I paid $28.67 tax. total: $338.65

So.. I was taken in by their next day promise.. and it cost me nearly $50

Order from ebay.. wait a few days and save money.

also.. Just looked at FED EX tracking for my package.. I live in East Tennessee.. Water Works has a warehouse in Memphis.. but they shipped my Rover from Kenosha Wisconsin.

Memphis to my house: 386 miles
Kenosha to my house: 586 miles

Shipping dept needs to learn geography.

I think it just depends on where you live for shipping, same goes with the tax, no tax when going to MN. I ordered my from Water Warehouse one evening and they shipped the next business day, it arrived the day after that. You may want to check their map for next day service - some are actually 2 days AFTER they ship. There are many sites that are the same way. Also Fed Ex has many areas where they do not do rural deliveries every day of the work week so you may want to think about that as well.

Anyway, the whole thread was re: pool cleaners - I also have a PRJ and LOVE it except taking out of the pool as they are heavy and do not come with a system to retreive them. You may want to tie a rope off the one side handle, string up through the top handle and just let "hang" with the cord (slip knotted on the cord) When the rope is pulled, it does not put any pressure on the cord and allows you to remove from any side of the pool. The bag is removed, turned inside out and cleaned - I hang on the clothes line and spray it off. Re-install aligned or it will be funky - easy to remember how to align by pulling up the seam with the blue tag to the sticker that says "bag goes here" - This is one of the best things I have ever done for ME, the pool doesn't care how its cleaned - ha. Set it in, turn it on and walk away!!

Water Warehouse Got Me Too

My Pool Rover Jr. didn't arrive until the 6th even though I ordered on the third before the deadline (and I did get a confirmation that evening too).

Their order confirmation email said they would email when the product shipped out, but that never happened. I called to inquire about the order on Friday morning and the rep told me it was on a truck with delivery scheduled for that day. And sure enough it was.

So I agree, the "Next Day" shipping thing was B.S., and their service leaves a bit of room for improvement, but at least I got the thing without tax.

And back to the Pool Rover Jr. (we call him "Robie", pronounced Row-bee), we love it! I think it takes a bit of effort for my wife to tale him out of the pool, but it was no problem for me. The instruction manual itself says that you can use the power cord to retrieve the robot while it is in the water, but then of course you should remove it from the water by its handle. So I don't see much need to tie another rope to him.

He really does pick up a LOT of junk off the bottom of the pool, and the main drains are no problem either - he just drives over them and keeps on going.

Re:

mnormington said:
I don't know if you a have a store called the great excape near you but if you do they have a cleaner made by the same company as the pool rover but it's better then the pool rover (I'm not impressed with mine too much) and it's a little cheaper. Go to shopthegreatescape.com and search for "blaze". I think that would be a sweet deal.

here's a link: http://www.shopthegreatescape.com/ecom/ ... 312a116073

Ugh! I just received my Pool Rover Sr. and gave let it cycle a few times. It is collecting a good deal of dirt and other surprises, but not nearly all of it. I have watched bumping around the pool and starting to question the logic in that little guy. There is still a ton of dirt on the floor of the pool, especially around the small folds in the liner, and around the edges.

This Blaze thing looks like it would work so much better because of the hydrojet functionallity. i cannot beleive that they dont have that on Pool Rover too, it is almost the exact same design - and it would make so much sense to have it.

Not sure if anyone has tricks for getting the Pool Rover to work like it is supposed to, but I am wishing at this point I could easily return it and get this other one!

Just to follow up.. I have been using the ROVER jr for about 3 weeks now.. So far,.. very happy. Put it in the pool.. it covers every part.. and seems to get about 95% of the debris. My 24ft AG gets clean in about an hour. Well worth the $300.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.