Changing bulbs in my Pentair SAM light

Jun 16, 2009
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello Everyone and thanks in advance for your help.....

Late last season I noticed my SAM was no longer coming on. The pool is entering it's 7th season and my guess is the bulbs have burnt out. No water in the fixture as far as I can tell.

I've never done this before, and have done some reading about procedures, but was wondering if there is a good step by step procedure or on-line video (looked but can't seem to find) that takes me through the SAM light bulb changing procedure. I already have the recomended bulbs and OEM replacement gasket in waiting.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!! I plan on cutting all power, as working around electricity and water is nothing to mess with!

THANKS!!!

edit: I should state that I have the maunal, just looking for anyone's real world experience. Here's hoping for a dry inside of the fixture and 2 blown out halogens.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but just wanted to let everyone know how it went.

This whole process really only took about 1/2 hour. I first went to the basement to throw every breaker associated with the pool. Since I had a new OEM gasket previously ordered, and the 2 new 75w 12v bulbs also I was ready to go. After removing the set screw, I was surprised the lamp simply released and before I knew it I pulled it straight out up on to a blanket on the concrete. I proceeded to loosen the ring that holds the beauty ring over the lens gasket. Have a socket and another wrench ready as both bolts will spin. After removing the old gasket from around the lens, I wiped the inside and outside of the lens clean with a new towel - especially the edges to ensure a perfect seal. Lots of dirt / silt / buildup junk in that niche. Then, 4 screws removed the entire color wheel and motor assembly revealing the 2 lamps. I was a bit worried, as only 1 appeared blown. I used some toilet paper (halogen lamps - don't touch with your hands to ensure long bulb life) to handle the new bulbs and replaced them in the 2 pin base. I then went on re-mount the color wheel and motor assembly with the 4 screws - no problem. After re-positioning the clamp ring and re-tightening, I did a water test to ensure no bubbles. (I should mention the happiness when I discovered the inside of the lamp had NO WATER IN IT!! before or after) Then, to the basement to turn the breakers back on. Again - so happy to see the lamp turned on!! I wound the cord around the back of the housing, and tried to re-install the set screw. No dice. I just couldn't line it up. My light is under the diving board and I just couldn't reach far enough down. I had to jump in the 72 degree water but it all worked out. Glad the cold water was the biggest obstacle. Just in case anyone else with a SAM has to change the lamps. I'm no electrician, and it's a pretty straight forward proces. I can't believe I did it myself.

I was able to find the bulbs at a local specialty retailer in Toledo, OH called Mr. Lightbulb. I believe the name on the box was EIKO? I actually got lucky though, as they carried one bulb that had a plastic cover and one without. I chose the ones without the plastic cover, and that's what my pool installer had in there. So, some more good fortune there. I think I paid about $4.50 per bulb. That $25 seems excessive. We'll see how long they last. They worked on day 2 also!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.