Is a bandaid repair on pvc plumbing going to last

Apr 17, 2013
I needed my top load filter replaced on my spa because the top threading broke off. I hired Morgan Spa since I wanted it done correctly. I paid $50.00 more for the part then I could have bought it online, plus $155.00 service call for an hours worth of labor. I watched the guy install it and knew he didn't get a good seal. Filled it the next day and sure enough it is leaking. They now want to just put plumbing putty, rather than ordering a new filter and doing it right. My question is this acceptable, is it going to last and am I being totally unreasonable wanting it to be done right? It is definitely going to be a fight to get them to do it correctly. I also thought about asking for a lifetime guarantee against leaking for this repair if they insist on using putty.

It is a Waterway 2" top mount 50 sq. ft. filter - I can't get a picture since it is all under the cabinet and has to be emptied and turned on its side to be visible. The pipe going into one side of the filter was hard to get into location before glue set and probably is not seated more than 1/2" and is not perfectly straight in (top of pipe has less seal than bottom).

If the thread they are proposing to seal with plumbers putty is the thread that holds the main top cap to the body then I would agree with you that would be unacceptable since the cap has to come off repeatedly to service the filter. The o-ring at that location is the actual item that performs sealing and should function properly even if the threads are messed. Did they replace the o-ring and apply a silicone lubricant or TFE valve lubricant? That's generally what's required to get a decent and repeatable seal. Yes, it looks like in total they've attempted to fix this with parts where a full replacement would have cost near the same.

The part that is leaking is the actual pipe that goes into the bottom side of the filter allowing the water to circulate through the filter. I am not sure if it is the "in" side or the "out" side that is affected. [attachment=0:1r9b48a1]Waterway Filter.jpg[/attachment:1r9b48a1]

Attachments

• Waterway Filter.jpg
    Waterway Filter.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 40
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.