Need help opening my pool

emk35

May 23, 2013
Norfolk County, MA
We normally have our pool company open and close our pool for us. I'd like to open it myself this year due to our circumstances. When we went to pump water off our cover to get it ready for the opening we noticed we kept running the pump and there didn't seem to be any progress. We realized there was a hole (or holes) in the cover so water kept coming up as we did it. We managed (with some work) to get the cover off but the result was a green murky swamp like pool.

We are having the tile and coping replaced in 3 weeks and the pool will be completely drained for this, and then refilled. Because of this, I don't really want to go crazy trying to get everything perfect (we don't mind not swimming in it until after this is done) but I also did not want a gross swamp of a pool for 3 weeks either. Based on some recommendations, we added a bunch of liquid chlorine and are working to get all the leaves out. The pool is now a cloudy blue. I would like to get the pump going and have everything running but I have never done this before. I have been researching here (and other spots) on how to do this but I couldn't find detailed instructions here as to what I need to do for my pump and filter. I don't know if there are valves that need to be opened or closed or what. Again, totally new to this so I need step by step instructions. Is there somewhere here that I might have missed that someone could point me to that will tell me every little thing I need to check? Or a video maybe? Does anyone have recommendations as to what I should be trying to do during the next 3 weeks?

Also, we will have all new water in the pool after this is done. I'd really like to get a handle on the whole water chemistry thing. I have been reading up at the pool school and have ordered one of the recommended test kits but was wondering if anyone has specific recommendations as to what I should do when the pool is refilled? What chemical to add first, how quickly/slowly to do this, etc.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Without knowing your pool, it will be difficult to help a lot. There are two drain plugs on the pump and normally a drain on the filter. You'll often find those store in the pump strainer basket. You'll have a plug in the skimmer, and each of the returns will have the eyeball fittings remove and a plug in their place. Sometimes the pressure gauge is removed from the filter. It's all simple, but knowing where everything is can be tough at first.

Post some pictures of your equipment and maybe we can give you more specific help.

Thank you. I was away and unable to get any pictures but will try to get some today when the rain lets up a bit.

They should be starting the tile job on June 11 or 12. Right now we have a full pool but it is still effectively closed. Would it be better to just leave it sitting like this until they come or would it be better to get it up and running so the water is circulating until then. And how much would you recommend doing as far as chemical levels if we do that considering that it will be completely drained in 2 weeks?

Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.