Opening pool an uncovered through offseason

May 23, 2013
Unfortunately due circumstances out of my control our pool was not covered this winter and although there is no serious damage i have a layer of leaves at the bottom that probably exceeds 2 inches, its a vinyl lined in ground pool, i have a place to dump the waste near by. Have you heard of anyone using an external pump to pump out leaves ex. a dredge pump. What kind of damage could i potentially be doing to my vinyl lining. Any other alternatives that does not include bagging or scooping leaves?

Nope - just get a good net and start scooping! Even if its thick it won't take that long and there really isn't any other option. I haven't covered my vinyl lined in ground pool in the winter in over 10 years, but I don't have any trees nearby the pool and I just go out a few times over the winter and scoop leaves and debris instead of letting it build up for the entire season. My pool opening is never any problem!

Welcome! :wave:

What you need is a leaf rake. A strong pump could grab at the liner and pull it up, which will make your current troubles look like nothing.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.