Can anyone help me with the math please??

Elle

May 16, 2007
Northern NY
So I can go to walmart and get 174 oz of 6% bleach for $2.36 or I can go to a place that just started selling liquid chlorine for $4.05/gal of 12%.
I never was very good at math and my dh is unavailable today. So can anyone tell me which is the better bargain?

I'm getting ready to head out b/c I need more bleach.

Thanks

$2.36/174 oz = $0.014/oz * 128 oz in a gallon = $1.74/gallon of 6%.

Figure 2 gallons of 6% = 1 gallon of 12 %, so 2*$1.74 = $3.44 for 2 gallons of 6%.

6% is more economical in this equation, but requires 2 bottles to equal the 1 bottle of 12%. Up to you if its worth the 61 cents/gallon savings.

That's why we use the liquid chlorine from the pool store. Convenience. Fewer empties to dispose of, fewer full bottles to store, and while the effective concentration of the liquid chlorine is nearer 10% than 12%, you do use a little less. Overall, it comes out more economical for us, especially since the pool store is much closer than the nearest X-Mart.

I buy the 3 gallon refillable carboy at the pool store and syphon it with a squeeze bulb gasoline syphon into a Clorox bottle. The carboy stays in the garage, the bottle is near the pool.

Just make sure that the 12% hasn't been sitting in bad conditions, as the higher concentration is more subject to degradation than the 6%.

I have been trying to get chlorine at pool stores or wherever for years here in Denver. They just don't sell it anywhere. I've heard everything from it being illegal to sell in colorado, to "what would you want that for" from pool stores. I'm thinking the demand just isn't there in this neck of the woods.

I just noticed one of the pool stores around here is running a special on the Carboys......5 ga of 12.5% for 19.99 (actually 13.99+6.00 deposit). Problem being they are 11 miles from my house.

Effectively its 10 ga of 6%, for 14.00....or 1.40/gallon. Wally world (only 1 mile from my house) has 6% for 1.67/gallon. Can you believe the 2.70 I would save is offset by the fact it would take me almost 1 gallon of gas to the pool store and back? I do think the convenience of the refillable bottle is nice, but I figure once I get the liquidator in, Ill be able to fill it with 8 gallons of 6% and go a long time before needing to do the bottle thing, so its not so bad.

Pool store also has "econo shock" which is 6%, on sale for 99 cents/gallon. I just dont know if there are any other ingredients that I dont want.

-Chris

Chris,

The "econo shock" is almost certainly stabilized chlorine, which is going to contain cyanuric acid (CYA). Depending on your existing CYA levels, you probably don't want to be unintentionally adding any more CYA to your pool.

Titanium

Titanium said:
Chris,

The "econo shock" is almost certainly stabilized chlorine, which is going to contain cyanuric acid (CYA). Depending on your existing CYA levels, you probably don't want to be unintentionally adding any more CYA to your pool.

Titanium

Yeah I figured as much....I actually could use a little CYA, but Id rather add straight CYA and stick with bleach. Liquidator on the way!!! Cant wait for that, my bleach life will be a lot easier!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.