Add salt before cleaning pool?

danc

Apr 2, 2010
My signature shows a swg but it is not running yet because I am in the process of clearing my pool.
Can I just add the salt while it is still milky so I can turn it on and let it help with the shocking process? The amount of bleach is killing me!
What do you guys think?

danc:

I would leave the SWG off until you finish the shock process. While the SWG would add some chlorine, the amount added would be negligible relative to the amount of chlorine needed to maintain shock level FC. So, either way, you will still use prodigious amount of bleach. As the pool cleans, the FC demand will come down which will reduce your bleach usage.

Assuming you have run test results so you know how what your shock FC target is for your CYA.

Target is 12 ppm at 20 cya, i lost 2ppm overnight, 4 ppm during the day
Thought I read that the compupool rj60 will do 6ppm per 8hr period at 100%
Will the salt mess anything up?

Yeah hold off on the salt. I managed to open my pool using 1 lb of chlor hypo shock, 5 gallons of 12.5% and some granular CYA.

Once the water was mostly clear and the dead algae gone I kicked the SWG on a fairly low %-age since the FC is still coming down from the shock.

I know, I am getting impatient, having filter issues, am actually upgrading to a s360t2, it should be here Tuesday, been looking at this milky mess for almost 3 weeks, not to mention the pallet of Bleach! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.