What to do next

Apr 10, 2008

I have been converting my pool the past week to the BBB method. I have used about 30 gal. of bleach so far and last night the FC HELD!!! AT 20. I have an 18x36 inground vinyl pool avg. depth of 5 ft. Last 3 years we used Baquacil and hated it. We have no chlorinator and a sand filter. My water is bluish but cloudy. We live in Missouri and here are my test numbers. What comes next? Any suggestions will be helpful. Also, about 4 days ago I added 16 oz muriatic acid iAND today I added 3 lbs CYA. I have ordered the Taylor test kit but have been using the 6 way test kit from Wal-mart for now. I diluted pool water as instructed here.

TC 20
pH 8.2
CYA 0
CH 150
TA 150

Congratulations!

Once the algae is dead it can take up to a week for the filter to clean up the water.

Ignore the PH measurement until the FC level is lower (10 or less).

Since you are doing the FC measurement by dilution and so won't be able to measure small loses, you should maintain the high FC level for another day or two.

In the long run you want TA to be lower, but I would not worry about that at all right now.

You will probably need a total of 7 lbs of CYA, but it is best to not add it all at once. You could add another 2 lbs right now or wait. I wouldn't go above 5 lbs right now. Give it a week to dissolve and then test the CYA level again and see where you are.

what to do next

I am in Cuba, Mo on I-44 just east of Rolla. Our pool temp. is about 76 right now.. The rain and cloudy days have kept it down. We do not have a heater. The process was pretty easy and I haven't worked it hard since I am working during the weekdays.

Cool, then we are about 200 miles away. Good job on your pool thus far. I almost got convinced to use Baquacil by the pool store (before I found this wonderful place) but will be opening my pool to the BBB method from the beginning. Good luck this year, and hope to be swimming soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.