Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do next

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do next

I have been converting my pool the past week to the BBB method. I have used about 30 gal. of bleach so far and last night the FC HELD!!! AT 20. I have an 18x36 inground vinyl pool avg. depth of 5 ft. Last 3 years we used Baquacil and hated it. We have no chlorinator and a sand filter. My water is bluish but cloudy. We live in Missouri and here are my test numbers. What comes next? Any suggestions will be helpful. Also, about 4 days ago I added 16 oz muriatic acid iAND today I added 3 lbs CYA. I have ordered the Taylor test kit but have been using the 6 way test kit from Wal-mart for now. I diluted pool water as instructed here.

TC 20
    pH 8.2
    CYA 0
    CH 150
    TA 150

2. Back To Top    #2
    Congratulations!

Once the algae is dead it can take up to a week for the filter to clean up the water.

Ignore the PH measurement until the FC level is lower (10 or less).

Since you are doing the FC measurement by dilution and so won't be able to measure small loses, you should maintain the high FC level for another day or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

what to do next?

Can I just let the TA go as well? Have I put in enough CYA? Thanks for the quick response.

4. Back To Top    #4
    In the long run you want TA to be lower, but I would not worry about that at all right now.

You will probably need a total of 7 lbs of CYA, but it is best to not add it all at once. You could add another 2 lbs right now or wait. I wouldn't go above 5 lbs right now. Give it a week to dissolve and then test the CYA level again and see where you are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: What to do next

Quote Originally Posted by lynn6631

We live in Missouri
    Somewhat off topic, but what part of MO (we are east of KC)? My pool is suppose to be installed next week, if it would stop raining! What is your pool temperature right now and are you heating it in anyway?

Thanks!
    27ft Above Ground Pool, 52" walls, vinyl liner
    1hp Pentair pump system
    22.5" Pentair sand filter
    BBB is stocked up!!
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

what to do next

I am in Cuba, Mo on I-44 just east of Rolla. Our pool temp. is about 76 right now.. The rain and cloudy days have kept it down. We do not have a heater. The process was pretty easy and I haven't worked it hard since I am working during the weekdays.

7. Back To Top    #7

Cool, then we are about 200 miles away. Good job on your pool thus far. I almost got convinced to use Baquacil by the pool store (before I found this wonderful place) but will be opening my pool to the BBB method from the beginning. Good luck this year, and hope to be swimming soon!
    27ft Above Ground Pool, 52" walls, vinyl liner
    1hp Pentair pump system
    22.5" Pentair sand filter
    BBB is stocked up!!
    TF-100 test kit