newbie with an oops!!!

May 22, 2012
Hi y'all. So I've begun my battle with the green algae in my pool. I was shocked that it only took two hours for it to turn gray...until my hubby confessed that he shocked the pool the pool before I came home. No biggie, except that I shocked it too. (I know I should've tested the chlorine level...I'll never forget again). So now my FC is 50!!!!

The rest of my test results are as follows:
Ph 7.6
TA 50
CYA less than 30
Ch - don't check

We had a big rain after I poured the bleach in, and we're backwashing and adding fresh well water. Is the FC ok being that high in the short term???

That is high, but I would just let it come down, make sure you leave the cover off especially when the sun is on the pool to help. Very high chlorine levels can bleach liners, but at your level (~ 8 ppm HOCL is equal to 50 ppm FC with 30 ppm cya) I think it takes prolonged exposure (days to weeks) to happen.

Hopefully, the forecast in Roanoke calls for sunshine tomorrow. That will burn off a good amount of FC. The chlorine at such high levels will drop a lot faster than at a normal FC. The water dilution will help somewhat, but a good sunny day is what you need. If you have a cover, leave it off tonight or get up very early and take it off.

I don't use a solar cover, so no worries there. I will hope for sunshine tomorrow and let the FC come down to the shock level the pool calculator gave me. I brushed the pool walls once this evening and will again in the morning. We don't have the steps in the pool yet, so there's not much to brush.

Should I throw the pool vacuum in tomorrow, or do I save that for later?

Thanks for all the great advice and support!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.