Using well water to fill

May 17, 2012
Southern Indiana
Have a friend with an inground pool. Every year they uncover the pool and it looks good but is green before you know it since they fill with well water. I thought maybe to get the water up to a shock level before they start adding well water might help. Is there a better way? They use chlorine from the pool store, I think.

lbcornett:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Usually, the biggest concern with well water is iron (Fe). Sometimes the water in pools filled with well water containing iron will turn green when chlorine is first added and this can be mistaken for algae. The green on a freshly-filled well water pool should go away in a day or two. If not, you can use metal sequestrant to deal with the iron. Note that sequestrants do not remove the iron. Instead, it binds to the metals and prevents them from depositing as stains. Since sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, periodic additions are necessary to maintain the correct level.

lbcornett said:
They use chlorine from the pool store, I think.
Do you know what type of chlorine this is? If it's from a pool store, it is likely one of the following: trichlor pucks, dichlor, cal-hypo, or any of these that are combined with an algaecide.

They're pretty sure it's algae but I'll suggest that it could be iron and I'll let them go from there. No idea what kind of chlorine they've been using. I've tried for a couple of years now to get them to switch over to "our" way of thinking and finally today they asked on their own about it. Maybe new converts on the way! Thanks for the threads on iron Richard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.