confused with my CYA results

May 18, 2013
I can not understand why my CYA is reading high. I have a taylor kit. I lost a lot of water over the winter, so I opened my pool with 3/4 fresh water fill up. I used city water. I used 2 pounds of dichlor shock, like I do every year. I have not added any more chemicals. That was a week ago today. My test today was ph: 7.4 FC: 8 TA: 100 CYA: 90. I do not know why I have such a high cya when I filled more than half the pool with new water and I did not add any stabilizer. I used some strips just for giggles and it showed my cya is low. I do not know what to believe.

are you letting your water get to room tempature if your water is cold. I know i was getting higher readings when i tested colder water and someone on here told me to let it get to room tempature before doing the test

If you did the test in dim light, it will read a lot higher than it is. I always do mine in full sunlight on the bright reflecting patio, turned so I don;t get any sun directly on the sample so I don;t get any glare on the surface.

Also try pouring it back in the mixing bottle and shale again, then repeat it several times until you're confident.

my water is 78 degrees and looks great. My wife, daughter, and I took a dip couple days ago. The water felt good. Is it normal that I still have a FC of 9 when I haven't added any bleach since my shock a week ago? I want to make sure my CYA is correct before I start adding bleach. Thanks Jeremy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.