Vacuuming Scale Deposits After Removal

May 5, 2013
Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
So it seems that I'm starting to win my battle against the calcium scale deposits I found on opening my pool.

I've kept the pH around 7.2 for the last week, added 2 jugs of ScaleTec and have been brushing with a stainless steel brush at least once a day. The scale is starting to release from the surfaces now.

My question is that now that I'm managing to get it off, I have a ton of loose scale siting at the bottom off the pool. Is this stuff ok to vacuum up, our will it damage the filter? Would I be better of using my robotic vacuum?

Also, now that it's coming off, my CHi is going through the roof...450 when I chief out earlier today. Should I adjust this as I go, or wait until the removal process is over with and then adjust?

Thanks in advance for the help...this forum is a lifesaver!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Very nice work on getting the stuff to loosen up. You seem to have a fine grasp on the concewpt so, if you watch it closely, a 7.0 pH is just fine and may speed the process a bit.

My choice would be to let it go to the pump basket. Robots are finicky devils and aren't that fond of picking up large chunks but your pump strainer basket doesn't care a bit....as long as you don't clog it up.

The pieces are pretty small actually...like a fine granule. It looks almost like I dumped a while bunch of salt in the pool. There's no way the pump basket is going to get it. So, it will be getting to my filter...will it cause any damage?

I might have exagerated when I said a "ton"...but it's a somewhat significant volume still.

Can you expaling the skimmer sock - vac plate - manual vac process? I'm not familiar with that.

Also, what should I do about the CH levels? There's still plenty of scale left to come off...should I adjust the CH levels as I go through the removal process, or wait until it's all complete?

Also, what should I do about the CH levels?
450 is manageable. Keep your pH down and then deal with your CH when you feel the scale is gone.

I might be missing something but I can't see how skimmer socks would be of ANY value in this case....the stuff is on the floor.

Sorry.....

I stretch a Skimmer sock (or panty hose is what I use) inside the skimmer basket (I do this year round) it acts as a pre-filter allowing my cartridge to stay cleaner longer.

If you do this and then manually vacuum with a plate which fits over the skimmer basket, all of the sediment you pick up will get caught in the sock and not make its way to the pump basket or filter.

Now maybe you do not have a vac plate, they can be found at pool stores if you want to venture inside one.

ssummer said:
I might have exagerated when I said a "ton"...but it's a somewhat significant volume still.

Can you expaling the skimmer sock - vac plate - manual vac process? I'm not familiar with that.

Also, what should I do about the CH levels? There's still plenty of scale left to come off...should I adjust the CH levels as I go through the removal process, or wait until it's all complete?

Dave:

My suggestion was to use the vac and hose rather than the robot to clean the pool in this instance. The sock will keep the sediment form making it to the pump basket or filter.

Oh, and thanks for the fast delivery on the reagent kit!

duraleigh said:
Also, what should I do about the CH levels?
450 is manageable. Keep your pH down and then deal with your CH when you feel the scale is gone.

I might be missing something but I can't see how skimmer socks would be of ANY value in this case....the stuff is on the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for the help! I do have a vac plate, so it sounds like I'm on my way to the pool store to get a skimmer sock. I see a lot more brushing and vacuuming in my future.

Thanks again for the help :cheers: This site, and the information you all have to share, is fantastic!

Ok, so the skimmer sock was enlightening and now I'm not so sure that it was the scale sitting at the bottom of the pool. So now, the question is...what the HECK is this stuff? Picture of some of.it is attached, but the sock was FULL with this sponge-like substance. Any ideas? [attachment=0:vxlq4md1]uploadfromtaptalk1369507637603.jpg[/attachment:vxlq4md1]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369507637603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369507637603.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 64
I know what it isn't...it isn't scale.

It's organic and has been allowed in your pool because of inadequate chlorine and you likely need to shock. Post a complete set of test results to include CYA and we'll help you get started.

FC-3.0
CC-0
PH-7.2
TA-130
CH-450
CYA-70

Numbers all seem to be in check except for CH and TA and I've passed the overnight chlorine test. Is it possible that it's just pollen accumulation? It has been terrible here the last couple of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.