First opening after MN winter! Water still cloudy

May 19, 2013
Bagley MN
We put in a "grain bin" pool last summer ( my husband is a contractor so we did it ourselves) and despite my reservations and because of my husbands enthusiasm and talents it went really well! We have a SWG and I have to say it worked like a charm. As newbies we used the test strips and had one small outbreak of algae when we were away a couple of hot days and the SWG didn't quite keep up. We shocked and did super chlor and it cleared up. Otherwise beautiful water all 2 months of our season! We got the temp up to 85 with a solar panel, almost too warm! Certainly warmer than our MN lakes!

So because of such a good first year we thought we were doing great. Thus, we were a little negligent with closing and didn't have our chemistry right ( just strips, no test kit) so we ended up with a green leafy mess this spring. After much reading here at tfp I followed the shock process as accurately as I could with test strips and a Walmart test kit while we waited for the TF100, which arrived today. The water cleared from green to gray within two days so we thought we were doing things right. But the water after a week and a half now is blue but still cloudy. So my test results today at about 10 am
FC 30
CC 1
TA 450 (tested this twice to be sure, water went blue then yellow rather than red due to high FC)
Salt 4000
CYA 75
PH 7.3
CH 380
Borates 30
The water is about 65 degrees right now, still waiting for it to stay warm at night. We know we're probably crazy but we were hoping to swim by June 1st. Its been a long winter!

So guess I'm wondering if we should add the de to the sand filter. The filter is running well and we have been back washing every couple of days and scrubbing and vacuuming. Is the cc level the issue or the high alkalinity? Guess after all the reading I can't decide if it's a chemistry issue or a filter issue or If we should add clarifier.
Thanks for your input. This is my first post, sorry if it is too lengthy ! :-D

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, the CC certainly points to continuing the shock process. You can certainly try the DE to see if that speeds up the clearing.

Does the pressure in the filter keep rising? Are you backwashing only when it goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure?

The pressure hasn't risen that dramatically in the filter. Normally sits at 12 without diverter to solar panel and 15 with diverter on. It might rise a point or two. I guess we just keep back washing every couple days hoping that would help clear the cloudy. Is there such a thing as back washing too often? Also, can you get de at a home depot type place or where? Never used the stuff before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.