First Review - Dupont Stone-Tech Saltwater Resistant Sealer

Let's keep this thread going....I'm in the process of getting quotes and designs and like other have mentioned, almost every PD in the DFW area recommends AGAINST a saltwater pool. My wife really wants salt so we are leaning that way.

Any updates?

Cut back on your use of stone and the SWG issue pretty much goes away. Even with stone, it is not a huge issue if you manage it properly. Like most everything here at TFP, simply learn what the problems are beforehand and then learn what is a successful strategy to handle those problems.

Are you planning on a typical Texas pool with stonework?

Cut back on your use of stone and the SWG issue pretty much goes away. Even with stone, it is not a huge issue if you manage it properly. Like most everything here at TFP, simply learn what the problems are beforehand and then learn what is a successful strategy to handle those problems.

Are you planning on a typical Texas pool with stonework?

Thanks for the advice. I agree, if you know what you are getting into with a saltwater pool then you should be fine. I've done lots of research and know that I'll need to seal the stone, probably yearly, and protect the furniture somehow.

We are planning on using cement pavers so I should be good there. Most builders here use flagstone for the coping. We haven't chosen materials yet so if we go salt, we'll have to take all that into consideration. Every design we've seen has lots of stonework. We won't be able to avoid it completely.

Our first pool was salt water with Arizona flagstone coping. We didn't seal it, and there was a lot of erosion/damage to the flagstone with nearly constant sand deposits into pool that needed regular cleaning. I'd estimate the coping will need to be replaced at some point. This is the big problem the pool builders for our second pool sited as to reasons why they didn't recommend salt water.

I'm curious how natural stone is holding up over 4-5 years using this sealer? We're in the first month of the new pool so no salt added yet. I did seal (2 coats) the stone before we filled. Would love to hear some long term results on the sealer before we make decision to add the salt.

I have been using it for two years now with a Arizona flagstone and a salt pool and so far there is no sandiness to the rocks and they are holding up well. I just resealed (2 coat as well) today.

Also - my flagstone was in horrible shape after 10 years of use, this was without a salt-water pool. I decided to switch to salt after seeing that. I had my deck repaired and then sealed. So the softer stone may just have issues period, regardless of what type of chlorine system you have but you can probably minimize it by using this type of product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.