Vacuum loosing suction

Apr 7, 2010
Jasper, Alabama
I'm loosing suction when vacuuming. In the beginning, the vacuum works fine but then for some reason, suction is lost. I replaced my hose thinking it may have small holes but the problem is still there. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated :?

It's most likely an air leak in the system somewhere. Since you replaced the vac hose I'd start looking at the other common places. Pump basket lid, Pump drain plug(s), Valves and fittings on the suction of the pump, etc..

Even more reason to suspect a leak at it. Could be that a drain plug didn't get sealed well or the o-ring on the basket didn't get lubed. It also could be leaking at the adapter on the front of the pump or at a union if you have one.

One of these.
611918011226lg.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello Bama, I think I have figured out the problem or should I say my boyfriend has figured out the problem.. The brissels on my old vacuum head were wore out and flat which caused the head to suction to the bottom and caused the pump to loose suction.. Silly me, new head fixed the problem!!

Now I have a new problem of interest that I'll start a new post on..

Thanks for your help!!!! :goodjob:

This may sound dumb, but make sure you're using the right end of the hose, I thought my hose was ad, went out and bought another. Same problem. Turns out the ends of the hose are different, one is for the skimmer hookup, the other is for the vacuum head. Reversing the will cause the hose to constantly duck in air.

On vacuum hoses where it matters which end you hook where it's because it has a swivel cuff. The swivel cuff is nice if your vacuum doesn't have a swivel joint, but it's not air or water tight and therefore needs to be attached to the vacuum so it stays under water all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.