Pavers? We don't need no stinkin' pavers!

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
Or do we?

Briefly, I had a standard blue liner/white frame Intex for the last two seasons, set up in two different locations on two different soil types. No problems with just setting the feet on top of the blue tarp on top of solid ground. I won't say I never thought of putting them on something like a paver during assembly, but never did I regret not having them.

Now I prepping for a larger Intex Ultra Frame, and while I've already taken this forum's advice about using some XPS foam underlayment, I'm more skeptical about the pavers, mainly because I'm only using 1/4" foam and I don't want to have to bury the more than 1" thick pavers to be level with the foam. Plus the fact that I'm using Deck Blok to build my deck, and they are going to be as close to the pool's legs as possible. I'm thinking of last year's tarp over the dirt, topped by the foam and the new tarp, with the pool and its legs/feet on top of all that.

I do plan to leave the pool up year round. Am I asking for trouble without the pavers?

I vote for pavers. We have a rectangular pool, similar style to an intex, and it came with these big rubber strips you put under the legs. We put a tarp under as well, and figured that was good enough. It was for a while, but the first time we got a heavy rain you could see it sinking a little. Now we have gophers that have tunneled under another leg and because we have nothing under it but tarp and rubber, the leg is sinking. If it gets any worse we are looking at a drain, fix, and fill.

In my opinion if I had pavers or even treated lumber under the legs I wouldn't be in this tough spot now.

I watch a youtube video of an intex rectangular pool where the pavers were above ground instead of dug in. Tge whole pool bowed inward. He gad to drain it and redo with pavers dug in. I imagine a round pool would have the same problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.