Noisy sand filter

WshnIwslofn

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2007
I had to replace the whole top on my sand filter about a week ago and yesterday it started making a lot of suction sounds ,on filter, somewhere inside and around the backwash line and air relief valve. There is no way to see iwhat is happening out of the backwash line (PVC plumbed into the ground) and I open the relief valve but it is a strong spray. The pressure has not changed any and there are no leaks. Could it be defective from the store and should I just open it and check the spider gasket?
Thanks Kay

WshnIwslofn said:
I had to replace the whole top on my sand filter about a week ago and yesterday it started making a lot of suction sounds ,on filter, somewhere inside and around the backwash line and air relief valve. There is no way to see iwhat is happening out of the backwash line (PVC plumbed into the ground) and I open the relief valve but it is a strong spray. The pressure has not changed any and there are no leaks. Could it be defective from the store and should I just open it and check the spider gasket?
Thanks Kay

Kay,

Since the pressure has not changed, you have no leaks, and (I assume) the water is flowing into and out of the filter properly, it sounds more like you have some air entrapped somewhere.

I believe if you just leave it alone, the air will work its' way out of the system.

Are you getting any bubbles from the return lines in the pool?

Does it function correctly on the other settings? (backwash, rinse, etc)

Thanks Dave. Yes it did go away after I filled the pool some. Seems that if the water gets too low the skimmer starts sucking a lot of air. Has to be about 2 inches above the skimmer bottom. Kay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.