Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy sand filter

I had to replace the whole top on my sand filter about a week ago and yesterday it started making a lot of suction sounds ,on filter, somewhere inside and around the backwash line and air relief valve. There is no way to see iwhat is happening out of the backwash line (PVC plumbed into the ground) and I open the relief valve but it is a strong spray. The pressure has not changed any and there are no leaks. Could it be defective from the store and should I just open it and check the spider gasket?
    Thanks Kay
    26,000 Gallons in ground with spa
    SWG
    Jandy equipment

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Noisy sand filter

Quote Originally Posted by WshnIwslofn
    I had to replace the whole top on my sand filter about a week ago and yesterday it started making a lot of suction sounds ,on filter, somewhere inside and around the backwash line and air relief valve. There is no way to see iwhat is happening out of the backwash line (PVC plumbed into the ground) and I open the relief valve but it is a strong spray. The pressure has not changed any and there are no leaks. Could it be defective from the store and should I just open it and check the spider gasket?
    Thanks Kay
    Kay,

Since the pressure has not changed, you have no leaks, and (I assume) the water is flowing into and out of the filter properly, it sounds more like you have some air entrapped somewhere.

I believe if you just leave it alone, the air will work its' way out of the system.

Are you getting any bubbles from the return lines in the pool?

Does it function correctly on the other settings? (backwash, rinse, etc)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks Dave. Yes it did go away after I filled the pool some. Seems that if the water gets too low the skimmer starts sucking a lot of air. Has to be about 2 inches above the skimmer bottom. Kay
    26,000 Gallons in ground with spa
    SWG
    Jandy equipment