Newbie questions on getting things right with new pool

SCS

May 23, 2013
Wisconsin
This site looks really awesome and I am trying to read as much as I can, but please be patient with me :-D

Just put up a new AG pool. Readings from this morning:

FC 6.5
CC .5
Ph 7.5
TA 80
CH 110
CYA 0

These readings were after adding bleach, and then adding stabilizer. My CYA has remained at 0. Pool is clear, and has been since filled a few days ago. I will get a lot of sun on the pool (when it decides to shine in Wisconsin.)

I am familiar with the pool calculator, but am confused at what order or timeframe to add things?

Also, I would like to keep the solar cover on as much as possible to heat the pool, but I assume that I should remove it while adding chemicals and for a time after? And is it good to leave the cover on most of the time, in general?

Lastly, will be leaving town for 3-4 days tomorrow and concerned about what I may return to.

Thanks in advance for any help this rookie may receive!

SCS,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Other than bringing your CYA up to about 40-50 ppm (which you have already done, I think), those are great numbers and I wouldn't do anything else but swim.

Even though the CYA will not register for a few more days, you are safe to assume your dosage is in there and apply FC accordingly. nice work! :goodjob:

Ok, I have waited a little over 1 week to retest CYA.
Here are my numbers:

FC 3.5
CC .5
Ph 7.2
TA 80
CH 100
CYA 0

Still at 0 with CYA :-(

More granular stabilizer?
Pool has been covered continuously for last week. I have added minimal bleach occasionally; that's about it since the stabilizer I put in over a week ago.
Other numbers appear to look good, right?

I am no expert, but I will say this and those in the know will maybe comment.

They cya test does take a bit of getting used to. I do best with mine on a sunny day.
Additionally this spring for us was crazy ~ we had frost after I opened up & added my stabilizer to increase cya.
I was not detecting the cya I introduced to the pool until I took the water sample into the house and let the water come up in temp a bit then I took the water I let warm up a bit back outside into the bright day and tested. I was able to get an accurate number that fell in sync with what I had added.

You mentioned how cold it was where you are ~ maybe testing with warmer water might show what you have added, if what I have read on various posts here is correct and the water for some did need to be warmer for accuracy (the ability to read). It could have been a fluke for me so I thought I would mention it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.