Water Level and Skimmer

heweydewey

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Erie, PA
Hi,

Sorry for the silly question, but just wanted to ask if it's alright to run the pool filter if the water level reaches above the top of the skimmer.

We had some heavy rains the past two days and the water level is higher than I normally keep it. When I went to drain the pool the T handle on my ball valve must have stripped (it turns but the valve doesn't open).

Seeing as we're getting more rain today and I wont be able to get around to replacing the valve (or hopefully maybe just the handle) until this weekend, is it ok for the pool filter to keep running or should I shut it down?

Thanks!

Yes, I had the same thing happen. My skimmer would not grab the floating debris but I made the decision along time ago that I would let evaporation bring down my water. With my luck I use to drain the pool to below the top of the skimmer and we would then have a 6 week drought and I would have to add water to it only to have the next rain come and put it over the skimmer again.

If I only need to drain the pool an inch or so and I'm not in a hurry I will use a garden hose to siphon off some water. It takes hours, but usually there is no rush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.