Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0871 drops

1. Back To Top    #1

R-0871 drops

Hi,

I bought a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit last week and I was testing the chlorine. I put two dippers of the DPD powder
    and the water turned reddish. Afterwards, I added the R-0871 reagent drop by drop. I counted 30 drops before
    I stopped. The solution still did not turn clear yet. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    That is normal if your chlorine level is higher than 15.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

rainman...the test worked right turning pink after that not. it is possible you grabbed the 0003 instead of the 0871. they both have yellow caps and by your results is what it will do. (ask me how I know ) try again if it you get the same result replace the 0871 or contact tayler if you think your cl is below 15.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for replying so quickly. Usually, how many drops do you usually use before the solution turns clear?

5. Back To Top    #5
    The number of drops depends on what your free chlorine level is. I have had anywhere from 1 drop to over 100 drops depending on what FC level I was testing. Having a normal number would only happen if you maintain a uniform chlorine level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    My TA is high (260).. so it took me 25+ drops.

Also, don't let the quick "turn to pink" fool you. The water should stay pink before you stop adding drops.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

7. Back To Top    #7
    Do you guys put in two dippers or one? I have been using only one since it will turn the 25 ml sample pink. Should I be using two?
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8
    As long as the sample turns pink you are good. Usually one scoop will do it, but sometimes it takes two.

9. Back To Top    #9

Duraleigh's kit says "one heaping" scoop, and that has worked great for me. His uses R-0871 also.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

10. Back To Top    #10
    I am just using one heaping scoop
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal