Copper algaecide

mtw826

Jun 4, 2010
MI
Decided to have a local pool guy come out to open the pool this year because I haven't had much time and he only charged 100$. He said I had a real bad algae problem and that he had never seen algae that would adhere to the pool. The algae was sticking in certain areas but I had been killing it by keeping the pool at shock level since Monday . He vacuumed what he could, then before I knew it he dumped in two bottles of swimmers advantage copper algaecide. He then said he will come back in a few days and we will see how it looks. I don't generally use algaecide because I follow the principles of this website. He dumped that in last night and this morning I have some foaming in areas of my pool. The recommended dose is 8 oz. , he dumped in 64oz. Is this a big deal? What should I do? I guess I learned my lesson with having someone else come out to work on he pool.

Pool guy certainly did you no favor by using a copper-based algaecide. Even in those few instances where an algaecide is called for, a copper-based one should never be used. Maintaining proper chlorination will prevent algae and will kill it at shock levels as you correctly seem to realize much better than your pool guy. Wouldn't ever let him near your pool again.

At this point, what's done is done. Just keep an eye out for potential metal staining. If that happens, you can perform an Ascorbic Acid (AA) treatment.

I am usually pretty lenient with folks out trying to make a living just like the rest of us.

However, I wouldn't pay him for the algaecide. You didn't order it and it was the wrong treatment, anyway.

Thanks for the reply's. I don't understand how these people can be out there doing these types of things. He claims to have been in the pool business for 25 years. I pride myself on having a nice pool and this guy potentially screwed mine up for the summer. Now the pool water even looks like it has a blue tint to it from the algaecide. It makes me sick that I have to deal with this now. It almost looks worse than when he showed up. Will the bluish tinge go away after a few days? When he comes back out i will pay him for what he has done and tell him that i will take it from here. Another thing he kept saying was that I have phosphates and that he could treat for that too. The last thing I need him doing is dumping more chemicals in my pool. You guys think the color from the algaecide will go away in a few days.

My plan is to use a floc this weekend and vacuum to waste, then replace the lost water with the hose. Hopefully replacing some of the water will help. I think this will clear up the cloudy bluish pool and get me on the right track.

FC-1
CC-5.5
PH-8
T/A-130
CYA-10

Gonna bring back to shock level and keep it there. CC seem to be high, never seen it that high before. I haven't put any stabilizer in yet, because i was waiting for the pool guy to get done vacuuming, didn't want to waste it.

Also some pics.

What do you recommend?

Sorry. Cant figure out how to rotate pics on here. They are not like that on the computer.

Thank you for help.

Attachments

• photo_1-1.JPG
    photo_1-1.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 296
  • photo_2-1.JPG
    photo_2-1.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 225
How did you get the test results? The good CYA test only goes down to 20ppm.

And are you sure your CC are that much high than your FC ... that is unusual and indicates a need for a LOT of bleach (after you lower the pH).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the tf 100 test kit. The CYA is a guess, it was 40 when i closed the pool and i have replaced almost all the water in the pool due to a leak that i had all last summer and winter which was fixed earlier this spring. I have always been told you cant get accurate CYA reading with low water temps anyway. The water is probably 55-60 degrees today.

So, you will need a lot of bleach to breakdown the CC, so the shock process is a good plan. You may also want to add about 20ppm of CYA so that it can get into the test range and protect your FC from the sun while in the shock process.

You just have to let the water warm up in the house before the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.