Preparing for an 18' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame

May 11, 2013
Littleton, NH
Hello all,

So I'll be ordering our AGP tomorrow, an 18' Intex Ultra Frame. Won't be setting it up for a little bit, still have lots of digging to do. Been too wet the past few days to get any work done out there. The plan is to get the sod all pulled up then start the leveling process.

I'm going to then tamp the dirt and let it sit for at least a few days (hopefully through some rain) to help pack it tight. I'll then lay my 1/4" foam down. Here's where I need help with the next step.

I'm going to buy the pavers on Friday because I'm ordering a roof as well and need to do it all at once. First of all, what size pavers will work best? 12" square, 8X16", or something else? Also, how many do I need for this pool?

I'm also going to hard plumb this baby right from the start so if you know of any good resources for that I'd appreciate it. I saw a good thread here but all the images were gone so it made it hard to decipher.

THANKS in Advance! :party:

I used the rectangular pacers I believe they were 8x16. You will need 18 of them, one for under each leg as an 18' pool = 18 legs and some for the equipment pad so the pump and filter don't sit directly on the ground. As for hard plumbing, well I haven't gotten that far yet myself but I'm sure someone who has already done so will be along with more info on that.

Just getting ready to fill my 18'x48" on Friday. Like the other poster stated you will need 18 + for your pad if you choose to go that way. But you might want to get some extra because you should consider putting two under the legs of the pool ladder. I also broke two while placing mine in the dirt. I bought the typical pavers longer than wider. I believe I paid .60 cents a piece at Menards. Good luck with the leveling!

Dig, don't tamp. The weight of the water will compact the ground far better than tamping will. Depending on your yard, it might be easier to dig while it's wet if the ground gets hard when it's dry. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but I'm learning the hard way with the same pool. I had it level, but it's settling. I'm still within an inch, but it makes me wonder how much more settling will occur. I bought pavers, but got distracted and wound up not using them. If I ever drain the pool they'll be going in.

Also, if you don't already have one, get a REAL pump & filter for the pool. The one that comes with it isn't up to the task.

After you remove the sod I don't see anything to be gained by tamping the soil, that soil should be undisturbed and already compacted far more than you could get it.
Maybe I'm missing something in the process.
You should remove the sod, level DOWN to within 1" of level and then put your pool base down, which in this case is foam board.
I don't see where tamping is required.

If you can get a sod remover from a tool rental place they are absolutely worth the money and will save you alot of work.

We have very thick grass and rich loamy soil underneath. I wish I could remove the sod without disturbing the dirt under it but that's just not happening. We have it about half cleared right now. The soil will be disturbed for at least a few inches down, that's why I was going to tamp it. Maybe just letting it sit and all the walking on it will be enough to compact it. Just ordered the pool, picking it up on friday but probably won't start placing it for a week or two (weather isn't hot enough up here in NH yet anyway).

nate - it's foam board you can get it at Lowe's in various thicknesses in the insulation aisle. I was going to use the 1/4" stuff that you put behind vinyl siding but I priced it today and I'm looking at $90 as it would take two bundles for me. I might skip it this year and just use a ground cover and see how it goes. Pools are only up for 3 months around here at the most so it'll be a good test run for next year.

Jeepfreak...is there a step-by-step setup for these intex pools? I got a 16'x4" ultra frame intex pool...i started pulling the sod up (today actually..and the rest of the weekend)...I need all the details :) I know they come with a tarp...but do i buy another tarp? do i use this foam? i read something about a 'gorilla mat' or a happy pad or something. What is this talk about a 'cove'? Do i use sand? I'm in North Carolina, i plan on leaving my pool up until we throw it out (several years i'm hoping) I want to be sure its right from the start! I ordered a saltwater filter b/c thats what i've read is best...now do i need a sandfilter also? Sorry if i'm jacking your post but I'm hoping maybe these questions will be here for the next person to find

No sweat Nate. I don't have all the answers as this year is the first year that I'm doing this the RIGHT way so I'm still researching some of this myself. Here's my plan. I'm pulling up all the sod and leveling as much as I can possibly stand to. Do not use Sand - it will settle and you will have problems. I will need to tamp the ground because we have loamy soil here and just my raking and digging loosens it up some. After that I'll measure out for the 12" pavers I purchased so that they sit level with the ground underneath each leg. 18 in my case, 16 for you. Then my ground cover over that, then my pool. I'm low on funds so I'm going to forgo the foam this year. Where your pool will be up permanently I'd put a tarp down on the ground, then your foam, then the ground cover. That's just me, there might be a better answer. Hope that helped some, like I said I'm still learning the best methods myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jeepfreak81 is right. DON'T use sand, it WILL shift, settle, and wash out like mine did- and I didn't use much. When I finish this post I'm going to see if I can possibly fix mine.

The salt water generator is not a filter, it uses salt to generate chlorine. You'll be well off to not bother with the filter that comes with these pools, it is horribly inadequate. Get a good pump/filter combo, you won't regret it. The one that comes with the pool isn't strong enough to vacuum with, and left running 24/7 won't keep up with even a moderate bather load.

Best thing to do is read pool school, knowing it will be overwhelming and confusing at first: expect it. Read it anyway and don't feel badly about it. Then read whatever posts on the board look interesting or applicable/similar to your situation.

Get a GOOD test kit. I've got the TF100 sold here, and it is worth the money. In fact, my refills arrived today(THANKS DAVE!). The little yellow & red thing Wal-Mart sells does NOT give you NEARLY the information you need to keep your water balanced. Besides- there's one of those included in the TF-100.

After reading the boards for a while, go back and re-read pool school. It will still be somewhat confusing, but more of it will make sense. Run the tests in the test kit to find out where your water is, that way you can formulate a plan on where to take it.

Post any questions you may have. If you find yourself stumped or confused, post. The folks here will have an answer for you, more than likely. Also keep in mind that the pool store is there to sell products. EVERY time I've gone to the one near me they've wanted to sell me bags of shock, and have no clue what that does to the CYA(stabilizer) level. The more you use that stuff, the higher you stabilizer goes, and the more chlorine you need to keep the water sanitized- but that's a discussion for another thread.

Welcome aboard, and good luck with your new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.