DE Filters and back washing

May 16, 2013
Hi all. I'm new both as a pool owner and a forum member. I have a 18x16 Vinyl IG with a S8d110 DE filter. I'm in the process of checking the fC and CC levels every hour and then adding the appropriate amount of chorine to get up to shock level.

Is it common during this process to have to backwash my DE filter many times in a day? I'm not complaining if it is the case, but my understanding is that I have to recharge the filter with DE every time I backwash, and with 53 SF of filter, it takes a lot of powder to charge it every time, and I just want to make sure I'm not needlessly wasting powder.

Thanks everyone for the great help!!!

Yes the DE filters do a great job of filtering out the algae and dirt, and as a result, they need to be recharged or backwashed frequently.

I can bump my DE filter to move the dirt around and get a few bumps per load of powder. Not sure if your filter works that way as well.

Sounds like you're performing the shock process well - keep at it.

Just for clarification, when you say "you can bump you filter" do you mean you are giving the filter a body check to move things around?

...why didn't the manual ever say anything about getting physical with the unit! :cheers:

:lol: No, not a hip check.

My unit has a handle on the top of it, that's used to push the DE and grime off the fingers inside of the filter. Turn the pump off, give it three or four pumps with the handle, then turn the pump back on. The pressure guage should be lower than it was before the bump.

Whem bumping doesnt reduce the pressure much, it's time for new powder.

cujowoof said:
Just for clarification, when you say "you can bump you filter" do you mean you are giving the filter a body check to move things around?

...why didn't the manual ever say anything about getting physical with the unit! :cheers:
It's only certain filters that are designed that way. Don't get violent with the filter unless it's designed for it.

Nope. There is no such handle on my unit, so I'll be the nice guy and give no love taps to my unit.

I am finding that my pump with it's lovely SVRS will automatically shut off if the filter gets too clogged. It's slightly an annoyance, since it is still requiring backwashing every couple of hours, but if it cleans more efficiently, I'm ok with it.

I thought I would attach a couple of photos as a reference to where I have been, and where I'm going:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.