First test result with TF-100. Advice???

May 19, 2013
Gadsden, Alabama
Ok... I got my test kit in today.

FC - 1 ppm
CC - 1 ppm
pH - less than 6.8
TA - 30
CYA - 90

Pool was blue and cloudy... I couldn't see the bottom of the deep end.... started scooping with the leaf rake and wow.... probably got 50 lbs of leaves out. Now the water is green and swampy again. I kept scooping until I was getting no leaves... so most are out. I started draining the pool to lower the CYA... I plan on replacing about half the water. It's going to take a while b/c I had to start using a water hose to drain it. I was just pumping to waste... but the neighbors down the hill started to complain after I drained about 2500 gallons. :oops:

I got on the pool calc and figured I need a lot of Baking soda, Borax, and of course good ol bleach. Any input or advice is definately appreciated... this is my first time!!

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would start by getting your TA to around 60 or higher. Use the pool calculator for dosage amount and use baking soda.

Next, retest your pH (it may have moved just a little) and then calculate and dose enough 20 Mule Team Borax to get your pH up around 7.4. Test an hour after you add this and redose if you are lower than 7.2

Now read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Follow that article precisely (KEEP YOUR CHLORINE AT SHOCK VALUE) and your pool will begin to clear.

Keep us informed of your progress.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would start by getting your TA to around 60 or higher. Use the pool calculator for dosage amount and use baking soda.

Next, retest your pH (it may have moved just a little) and then calculate and dose enough 20 Mule Team Borax to get your pH up around 7.4. Test an hour after you add this and redose if you are lower than 7.2

Now read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Follow that article precisely (KEEP YOUR CHLORINE AT SHOCK VALUE) and your pool will begin to clear.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Will do.. I'm finishing the drain/refill process first. Water level is to low to operate my pump right now.

Test results at 4:00 pm
FC: 22.5
CC: 0
TA: 70
PH: 7.5
CYA: 55 (Half way between 50 and 60)

Water is green and cloudy. I can just make out the bottom of the shallow end. Pump is running good, I've had to backwash twice since I started the pump last night. Next steps?

Keep your Free Chlorine at shock level and brush the pool at least once everyday
When your water is crystal clear do the OCLT which Butterfly says
You're done shocking when:
1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.
It worked for me and now my wife and I are enjoying a clean crystal clear pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SkyKid said:
Keep your Free Chlorine at shock level and brush the pool at least once everyday
When your water is crystal clear do the OCLT which Butterfly says
You're done shocking when:
1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.
It worked for me and now my wife and I are enjoying a clean crystal clear pool
This advice is good. For the sake of importance, I'll say it again in another way....

You're doing the shock process, so during that process, do not let FC get below shock level.

Ok results! Pool is crystal clear. Today's test:
FC: 11
CC:0
TA: 90
PH: 7.3
CYA: 40

I added a bit of baking soda to get the TA up a bit more. I'm going to see how the chlorine holds now... but it will be good. I've only been losing 2 - 4 ppm in 24 hours the last couple of days. What chlorine level would be safe enough for the kids to go for a swim.... they are salivating over the pool right now! lol

You can always swim safely up to the shock value so for your pool @ 40 CYA, that's 16 ppm.

However, have you done an OCLT test to make sure you have no remaining organics? It'll still be ok to swim, but if you are in the middle of the shock process, it sorta' screws that up.

after dark and first thing in the AM. Its an overnight loss test. The goal is to see if there are anymore organics in the pool that the Chlorine is attacking. By testing overnight you eliminate sunlight from the equation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.