Boiling water in pool pump

stevex

Oct 4, 2009
Yeah I figured that subject would get your attention.

I uncovered the pool a couple days ago and fired up the pump. Everything seemed fine - enough suction to run the pool cleaner.

Today I went to check on the pump and I see there's no water moving. One of the knobs that holds the basket lid closed is not on - I think someone must have cleaned the leaves out and not screwed them both on, and I guess what happened is the pump ran all day with no water moving.

There was a bit of water in the pump basket and it was darn near (or perhaps actually) boiling. Even an hour later the water is too hot to stick my hand in. I guess the whole inside of the thing heated up quite a bit running dry all day.

So, now what. I don't know if this has seriously damaged the thing, or if I can just seal it back up, turn it on, and expect it to be fine.

The motor still runs, and it sounds okay .. but I didn't let it run long enough to prime. (It always seems to take a long time to prime - many minutes - don't know how normal that is).

Thanks
-- Steve

Has the hot water distorted the filter basket or the lid so that it will not seal? If not you may be OK. I had a similar experience with my previous pool.

Well this sounds promising.

The PVC heading up to the sand filter was a bit less stiff than usual but nothing looked melted. The filter basket is okay. So maybe I got lucky. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

If it won't prime tomorrow - what then? Is this a repair or a replace?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.