LifeTime Supporter
Jan 10, 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Greetings & salutations! First time pool owner in a recently purchased house, and glad to have found this great resource. I've put myself through Pool School while holding down a full time job, so at least I have that going for me. Which is nice. :party:

Anyway, opened the pool last week and received my TF-100 test kit, and so know just enough to be dangerous! I'd appreciate some feedback & suggestions to make sure I get off on the right foot. Here are my initial test results:

FC 2.0
pH 7.8
TA 130
CYA 20
CA 20 (possibly - may have done this test wrong)

My SWG reads 2,900, with the recommended level being around 3,200.

We got a ton of rain in the past week and I've had to drain a bit of water off, and the temps are still low, with water temperature being in around 63 right now. Pool looks pretty clear.

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Welcome to tfp, hanesian :wave:

Us Minnesotans are taking over :twisted:

How does your water look?

What is your CC?

Does CA mean CH? If so, describe how you did the test.

I am assuming you have read this pool school article?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator You should start getting some cya in there (unless your water needs the shocking process).

Also, I would lower your ph to 7.2. And repeat this whenever you get up to 7.8. This will also slowly lower your TA, which I wouldn't worry about for now.

Thanks, linen. Glad to see us northerners aren't completely out of place here!

The water looks pretty good! Clear to the bottom even in the deep end. Just cold and lots of surface crud from nearby trees after the recent storms.

CH does mean CA. I'm still learning all the terms. I followed the instructions from the kit and the Pool School on doing the tests, but this one seemed to not jibe with what I was seeing. It said add the drops until the pink turned to blue, and afte 25 or so drops it was still mostly pink particles floating, but the water had taken on a bit of a purple-ish hue. I just felt like I must be doing something wrong as it wasn't turning blue as the directions indicated.

I did read that article you linked, and I have begun putting stabilizer that the previous owner left me in socks and hung them in front of the skimmers. It just doesn't seem to disburse much, but I wasn't too concerned right now because, as you probably know, we have had so little sun lately anyway. But I'm adding some that way anyway in hopes it helps.

I added 120 lbs of Solar Salt a few days ago, and probably need to add some more. Just getting the pool temperature up to where I think the SWG is kicking in and registering good numbers.

This is all just so new to me I'm looking for some moral support & helpful hints. My kids are anxious to start swimming but I've held them back until I had some comfort that all was well. With school ending this week, though, I hope to have the pool usable soon as they'll probably jump in regardless!

Thanks again for your help! Appreciate it!

hanesian said:
The water looks pretty good! Clear to the bottom even in the deep end. Just cold and lots of surface crud from nearby trees after the recent storms.
Good then you should be able to start getting some more cya in there. I would shoot for somewhere around 50 ppm cya to start, just to be sure that you don't over do it. I find for myself up here, 60-80 works fine...it might for you too.

hanesian said:
CH does mean CA. I'm still learning all the terms. I followed the instructions from the kit and the Pool School on doing the tests, but this one seemed to not jibe with what I was seeing. It said add the drops until the pink turned to blue, and afte 25 or so drops it was still mostly pink particles floating, but the water had taken on a bit of a purple-ish hue. I just felt like I must be doing something wrong as it wasn't turning blue as the directions indicated.
Sounds like you have a fading endpoint. Take a look at the extended directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206396 My guess is you are around 250 (don't forget to multiply you number of drops by 10). Regardless, unless your CH is really high, there is no reason to worry about CH in your vinyl pool.

hanesian said:
With school ending this week, though, I hope to have the pool usable soon as they'll probably jump in regardless!
I would let them.

I somehow missed your second response, linen. Thanks for your help!

linen said:
hanesian said:
Good then you should be able to start getting some more cya in there. I would shoot for somewhere around 50 ppm cya to start, just to be sure that you don't over do it. I find for myself up here, 60-80 works fine...it might for you too.

Will do. I have to pick up some more stabilizer today.

hanesian said:
Sounds like you have a fading endpoint. Take a look at the extended directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206396 My guess is you are around 250 (don't forget to multiply you number of drops by 10). Regardless, unless your CH is really high, there is no reason to worry about CH in your vinyl pool.

I'll revisit this once I get the other things in balance. Thanks.

hanesian said:
With school ending this week, though, I hope to have the pool usable soon as they'll probably jump in regardless!
I would let them.

That's helpful to have an informed third party endorsement - thanks!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.