Iron Stains Gone--Water Just Turned Green Tint

DHinNC

Apr 26, 2007
ok here's my issue:
Salt pool
Opened pool to liner stain.
Chlorine reduced to 0- added Stain Free= clear liner overnight
Added 1 qt of Jacks Magic Magenta Stuff and slowly start adding chlorine (bleach)
adjusted ph with washing soda plus
added CYA
now 2 days later the pool water turned a light tint of green

test readings are:
FC = 4
CC= 1
TC= 5
ph = 7.8
T/A = 70
CH = 50
CYA = 50
Temp 80 F

I did notice that the DE filter is approaching the time to backwash

Any suggestions on my next course of action?

thanks in advance.
Don

We don't recommend using Jack's Magenta Stuff. Use Blue, Pink, or Purple instead. They are much more effective. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the best. There are several brands with this family of ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

I am assuming the water is a clear transparent green. If so the coloring is caused by metals in the water and a sequestrant level that is too low. The stain remover takes the iron off the walls of the pool and puts it in the water. Sequestrant binds to the metals and holds them in solution. Without sequestrant you can have a variety of effects, including green water and stains returning.

One thing you can do quickly to reduce the chances of any stains forming is to lower the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.4. Then work on getting some more sequestrant into the water, preferably one of the recommended types.

Ok thanks. My local pool store doesn't stock the purple stuff - they recommend the magenta stuff for the SW pools. They said it was higher concentrate and would take less volume for my pool size. I actually bought 2 bottles. Would it be acceptable to use the remaining bottle as the sequestering agent this time? I will drop the ph down as you suggest and add the sequestering. Should I let the chlorine drift back lower during this process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.