hoping I've learned something from last year!

May 16, 2012
NE OK
Ok, ready to open the pool up. Confident what I have learned on pool school last year will help me have much greater success this year.

I do have a couple questions. The water is green but I can see the bottom of the pool. I know I need to remove manually as much leaves, etc. as I can. I am wondering if I should vacuum to waste before I get me CYA and PH in the appropriate range before shocking or if I should remove what I can, get CYA and PH where it needs to be,run the filter 24/7 and shock? Last year I had used a flock treatment before shocking, which, was just before I joined this forum. Thanks!

curlyfry22 said:
Ok, ready to open the pool up. Confident what I have learned on pool school last year will help me have much greater success this year.

I do have a couple questions. The water is green but I can see the bottom of the pool. I know I need to remove manually as much leaves, etc. as I can. I am wondering if I should vacuum to waste before I get me CYA and PH in the appropriate range before shocking or if I should remove what I can, get CYA and PH where it needs to be,run the filter 24/7 and shock? Last year I had used a flock treatment before shocking, which, was just before I joined this forum. Thanks!
Test the water and see if it's salvageable.

And why not vacuum to filter and then backwash? Less water lost that way.

Here are my test results:
FC-0
TA- 80
PH 7.5
CA--55
Wow! Nobody I know personally who has ever given me previous advice in clearing a green pool has told me to vacuum to filter and backwash when it's been green. YES!!!! I would much rather do that!!!! I have always been told that I am just shooting everything back into the pool and the algae will be in my sand filter and grow there. Wow! Last year it took me over a month to get my pool cleared up. I am hoping for a maximum of a week this time. Assuming I need to lower my PH just a tad? The CA test is always hard for me to read. It's somewhere between 50-60 depending on the lighting.

curlyfry22 said:
Here are my test results:
FC-0
TA- 80
PH 7.5
CA--55
Wow! Nobody I know personally who has ever given me previous advice in clearing a green pool has told me to vacuum to filter and backwash when it's been green. YES!!!! I would much rather do that!!!! I have always been told that I am just shooting everything back into the pool and the algae will be in my sand filter and grow there. Wow! Last year it took me over a month to get my pool cleared up. I am hoping for a maximum of a week this time. Assuming I need to lower my PH just a tad? The CA test is always hard for me to read. It's somewhere between 50-60 depending on the lighting.
Algae doesn't grow without sunlight... it wouldn't grow in your filter.

55 is pretty high CYA to run the shock process. But it's your call. If it's just green, it can be done. If there's a pile of leaves composting on the bottom, you'll end up backflushing so much that you'll use the same amount of water. It might not be a bad idea to vacuum out the worst chunks to waste and lower that CYA number up front.

The pH is fine. Reread the shock process in Pool School and let 'er rip.

Ok, here is where I am at. Shock process started a day late because when I went to turn my filter on we discovered the switch broke off. We had to have an electrician by-pass the switch. We had a switch in our shop for the power so it was a pretty quick fix. Water has turned from green to hazy blue. I've got to of my girls in the pool scooping out what couldn't be reached from the outside. Still have a lot of brushing and vacuuming to go. I do have a couple concerns: Here are my numbers:
FC-14.5
TA-110
CH-200
PH-7.4
CA-30
I must have figured my CA too high to start and in doing so I put way too much bleach in initially. My current shock level is 12. I feel we are making good progress. Last year it took me over a month and once I found this forum another week or so to clear it up. My biggest concern right now is the gritty sandy film that has attached itself to the walls of my pool. It is pretty much impossible to brush off and it is so bad that it will leave some pretty terrible scrapes and scratches on my swimmers if I cannot get it off. It also doesn't look nice at all. Hoping there is a solution to helping get whatever it is off. It feels like someone plastered sand on the inside walls of the pool. Please tell me there is a way to get it off...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.