Big Concrete Patio Decking Help

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Ok, so my PB is getting ready to finish off my install. The POOL is in, pumps coming soon and then the 1,400 sq ft patio out of stamped concrete.

Here is a drawing of the rough shape...

[attachment=0:2lyodku5]pool patio.jpg[/attachment:2lyodku5]

With all this concrete work, I just want to make sure the PB does the BEST he can to keep everything level.

Soil is lots of clay, mixed with some normal top soil. The pool is SUPER LEVEL, slight 1/8" drop, but told by many that is great for a 33' fiberglass pool.

The pool base is 4-6" of compacted #8 limestone.

The BP will be leveling the ground of course, he did a pre-level before winter to make sure any settling would happen over the long winter and give us a best chance for a great concrete job.

He will be laying a 4" minimum stone base (compacted) then using rebar and of course the concrete layer.

Sounds like he is doing everything right...

Any comments, additional questions I should ask, etc. ?

Thank in advance!

Attachments

• pool patio.jpg
    pool patio.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 316
Sounds to me like it is unusually excellent preparation. You probably should hug PB around the neck for thinking to pre-level last year! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Substrate preparations and a good rock base are the key factors and he seems to have covered them remarkably well.

Yes prep work is key, but a slab that big will crack. Object is for it to crack where you want it which is why the put in joints. I don't know enough to say where or how many, but he sounds like he's doing what needs to be done so you need to let him do what you paid him for.

Looks neat. I would offer a word of advice about the layout though. Just off the upper left corner of the pool in your drawing, you have a bottleneck in your deck that you probably won't like. Flaring the deck to the left would make it an easier area to pass through. If you will be mowing up to the deck with a riding mower, you will hate those tight inside corners. I'd recommend making them more gradual or using landscaping to round them.

Oh, here is the 3D view just for fun. I will also try to add a bit more roundness to that upper left corner, still looks a bit tight. Thanks again for the comments.

[attachment=0:28fi3u9y]pool patio - update 3D.jpg[/attachment:28fi3u9y]

Attachments

• pool patio - update 3D.jpg
    pool patio - update 3D.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 225
Only to be devils advocate and the person who says get as much deck as you can afford (maybe you are already over that and I can sympathize), have you considered decking in the side between the fire pit and the pool? The reason I ask is because though you have fairly large square footage, much of it is used by walkways and the fire pit. Not leaving an over abundance of area for open seating or loose chairs/lounges. I'm sure you'd be fine, thrilled even, as you have it (though I did have the same thought as JohnT on that corner) but just throwing it out. Best of luck with your wrap-up process and happy swimming!!

so...YES - I've considered a bit more decking...but we are sort of trying to create a "Separate" lounge area per say. Where the adults can hang and the kids can be in the pool. Perhaps it is a silly idea and perhaps it is foolish, but we were hoping this would help a bit.

also, we are at budget's limit....

With that in mind, any ideas on HOW I could still create our "private" area yes facility more lounging ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My only thought is if the row of shrubs on the right could be slid to the right and the decking on that side rounded from the corner before the light around to the house corner. I do like having the unpaved area between the house and decking over there, but it depends if space trumps green space aesthetic (or, if the money isn't gone). Definitely see value in the concept of separation and think you have accomplished that, to the extent you can, with your plan.

I hate to sound like I'm picking it apart, but I figure the knowledge from people who have "Been there. Done that." is probably what you want.

I wouldn't go with any decking less than 4' wide unless it is in an area that will only be used for maintenance work. 3' is just enough for one person to walk, and at times it feels like you are walking a tightrope with a pool on one side. I'd want at least 6' around things like ladders, diving boards and slides, and on the deck that leads to them. I believe I would fill in everything on the left side between the fire pit and the pool. You can leave openings in the deck for plants to isolate the areas, though in the evening it will be normal for people to sit by the heat while someone else is swimming. At some point you may decide you want a shade structure. It is hot sitting in the sun by the pool, and a shaded area where you can still be there is very nice. Your fire pit area would be a nice place to allow for a future gazebo.

First off forgive the attempt, it was done in Paint.

Secondly, I just wanted to draw out what would be easier to maintain over the years, and at the very least show you something that you say "oh that's terrible" so you can be confident you'll like what you are proposing.

I understand the desire for the separate adults hang out, but you are still going to be able to see the pool, no? and it's really only like 7' away from immediate pool deck, right? Without like a physical divider, blocking vision of the pool, are you really going to achieve a special place? Or just make it more difficult to access pool from adult location?

Wow - you guys rock. AND YES I was hoping for guys with experience to chime in.

Let me absorb this a bit and get my WIFE to review as well. I do like the design ideas though...I will tinker with as well. Man, this is getting exciting!

As a note, although not clear, the side decks are 4', 1' of coping plus 3' of concrete.

Man, we are not very creative.

So we like the "second" design idea above by "harleysilo" except we are concerned the fire pit (due to winds/ash) is too close to the pool. We do have a windy backyard for sure.

We tried modifying ours, but we can't fall in love. I am going to do a 3D of what we thought again, with some plants - too keep the separation feel.

[attachment=0:2m1a5loq]pool patio - update 2.jpg[/attachment:2m1a5loq]

Attachments

• pool patio - update 2.jpg
    pool patio - update 2.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 166
I was hoping you got with the wife on this big decision and were going to post back today.

Again with the tight inside corner!!!

I like JohnT suggestion of holes (or perhaps long hole) in the decking for planting to create your adult space. A real nicely maintained low hedge could separate it well!

From the renderings i thought you were gonna do some sort of steel firebox/chiminea with a chimney, vs. an open fire pit.

Ok, this was our other brilliant idea...perhaps we get the best of both worlds.

[attachment=1:1e7sdkwt]pool patio - update 3.jpg[/attachment:1e7sdkwt]

[attachment=0:1e7sdkwt]pool patio - update 3D v3.jpg[/attachment:1e7sdkwt]

Attachments

• pool patio - update 3.jpg
    pool patio - update 3.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 161
  • pool patio - update 3D v3.jpg
    pool patio - update 3D v3.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 161
Yeah the issue with the fire pit, is that we wanted to make it "portable" in case we needed overflow seating for a big party - plus the software I am using was limited in fire pits, so I picked this wacky thing.

But honestly, we are not 100 % sure. My latest 3D though is feeling better, the angles are not perfect as the software I am using once again in limited and I am terrible at paint.

The inside of that area would be mulch/bushes, etc. so no grass cutting of course.

I like the latest a lot better. I can see some pipes for Tiki torches around the planting area, and maybe even a fountain or statue to suit your taste. Don't do mulch. It will blow in the pool. Go with rock.

Right about where it says 44'10", I'd make a sweeping curve instead of the sharp angle. With the angle, you'll have to weedeat it every time you mow, but you can mow the curve. Same thing above and left of the firepit.

Where are the ladders/stairs, and divng board if you have one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.