Brand new. Desjoyaux pool?

joea

May 22, 2013
Hi Everyone, brand new to pool ownership and this forum. I have read through pool school and have been coming back regularly over the last week or so. Seems like a great place to learn.

So far my pool is open, water looks clear, and I have vacuumed. My testing kit should be arriving today (unfortunately I went with Poolmaster 22260 before reading this forum, so I will try to give it a shot). I don't have all of my pool details, but I can tell you it is about 20,000 gallons, vinyl, and is a desjoyaux pool. I had never heard of this before, after talking to someone at the pool service company they told me to "throw away everything you might have read about pools". So I guess my question is: is all of the information available on this website still applicable to me? I'm sure the chemical information is the same, but I am just curious since there is no backwashing, the filter is not above ground, and essentially just uses the nets, etc.

I also have 3" tablets and a floating dispenser coming today. After being "schooled" I suppose I should be returning these? :oops:

Thanks!

Ya, their right. Throw away everything you have on pools and then disregard whatever they tell you and then read pool school (link up in the top corner).
As many thousands of people can verify, what is contained there simply works. No special brand names to buy.

Regarding your test kit, it does not have the CYA, Free Chlorine or Combined Chlorine tests.....there's no way to do this without those tests....you need a proper test kit that gives you all the test results you need or else your flying blind.
Don't focus on the "wasted" money for that kit, if you use that kit you'll likely spend more on chemicals than you need.

Order a proper test kit today.

That's one of those pools without any plumbing isn't it? The filtration system hangs over the side and is self contained. It's a modified cartridge type system. It's kinda like a large spa filter system.

All the chemical stuff will still apply to your pool. You'll have a bit of a learning curve with the filtration system and unfortunately it's all proprietary stuff so when something breaks you have no choice but to get parts from the mfg.

It'd be great of you could post some pics of the pool and the equipment.

Yes, that is all correct. It actually seems pretty simplistic and easy but is probably less strange to me because I have zero experience with a "regular" pool.

I will try to get some pictures this evening. I ordered a TF-100 so hopefully that will be here over the next couple of days. With the kit I bought the FC looked good but the pH was VERY low and the TA was completely non-existent. The pool looks pretty clear though I haven't added any chlorine since it was opened a week ago. (Had a service do this, I believe they opened with adding 5 gallons of chlorine. I still need to figure out my pool size).

From what I've been reading I should pick up some Borax to get that pH up. I would really like to get in there this weekend so if the kit doesn't come I may just take it to get tested and add as necessary (maybe just this once! :lol:)

I would wait on everything except some chlorine until the kit gets there if you can.

It might not be a bad idea to have it tested just to see what they say the pH is. If it and the TA truely really low you probably want to add some baking soda to it pretty soon and test the pH again.

If I were to only add the chlorine, would it be OK to swim in with such low pH/TA? I was under the impression this would not be good. It is storming pretty good right now so I am going to wait til tomorrow for the pictures and to take it to be tested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.