Thoughts/advice on new pool bid in Atlanta

zoobie

May 9, 2013
Atlanta GA
We've gotten bids from 5 pool builders, and we are pretty sure we've narrowed it down to one. The final proposal is as follows:

Gunite with PebbleSheen finish
Irregular flagstone coping, waterline tile
Tumbled pavers for decking

Size: 12x15x38
Depths: 12" sunshelf, 3 ft to 8ft main body of pool
Surface area: 720 sq ft
Perimeter: 125 linear ft
Capacity: 29,500 gal
Turnover: 4 hrs, 30 min
Elevated 18" Spa 6x6

2 FiberStars LED Pool Lights
1 FiberStars LED Spa Light
2 AquaStar 9" Pool Drains
2 AquaStar 9" Spa Drains
Filter: Jandy CV580 Micro Media
Pump: Jandy SHP 2.0hp Stealth
Heater: RayPak 406K BTU natural gas
Hayward Goldline SWG
Jandy AquaLink PS8 with IQ-900
Whisper Jet 1.5hp Air Blower
Polaris 280
1 - Hydrostat Relief Valve
1 - 1 1/2" Vacuum fitting
4 - 2" Pool returns
6 - Hydrotherapy Jets in spa
2 - Pentair U3 Surface Skimmers
Overflow max 5' from deck edging
Automatic fill - automatic water leveling device

I've been lurking and reading pool forums for a year or so, trying to get familiar with the lingo. It still feels like a foreign language! I'm going a little crazy trying to research each thing...

The PB we think we will choose is encouraging a TurboClean In-Floor cleaning system. There's a fairly good (or perhaps bad in this case?) tree canopy in the backyard, and of course we have the annual Pollen Extravaganza here in Atlanta where the streets run yellow. Another PB said they would install the in-floor system if we wanted it, but it worked better for sandy-type debris and not as well in Atlanta for the leaves and pollen.

We will probably also add the i-Link controller, but that might be a later addition for budgetary reasons.

PB said the single speed pump is standard because energy is fairly cheap here and many people don't see cost returns on the multi-speed, but they will add it to the quote if we want one. I don't like the idea of just wasting energy, but we've already pushed our budget up $10K from where we started. We will tell people to BYO chairs for a while and add landscaping later... :wink:

Thank you for any advice. Looking forward to sharing pictures in the near future!

I can't help much, but I would make sure all the lines are 2" Schedule 40 Rigid PVC - just in my opinion much better than that flex stuff. Plus you want the lines at 2" (or at least I think you do)

I would upgrade to the two speed pump, much quieter and energy return is faster than you think.

Good luck!

toofast said:
I can't help much, but I would make sure all the lines are 2" Schedule 40 Rigid PVC - just in my opinion much better than that flex stuff. Plus you want the lines at 2" (or at least I think you do)

I would upgrade to the two speed pump, much quieter and energy return is faster than you think.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'll ask PB about 2-speed pump and ask about the line type.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.