green pool

May 22, 2013
My pool is still green help! Opened pool, vacuumed all visible algae to wast, added algacide bad idea, now foamy. Added 4 lbs of chlorine calcium hypochlorite for 3 nights and vacuumed again. Then after reading tips on your site added 6 bottles of regular bleach and 96 oz bottle of ph plus (needed 2 bottles, only had 1). This a.m. still light green and foamy and still as follows. FC 0, PH 6.8, TA 180, CYA 300.
I am currently draining some of the water probably less than 1/4 and will fill with fresh. How can I get my FC up without throwing $$$ at it. Do I just keep dumping in bleach, I thought 6 bottles would do something? ??
My pool is 27 foot round and 54 inch deep approximately 17000 gallons. Help please

Better but still w-a-a-ay too high. You will need to drain roughly half or more of your pool water to remove that excess CYA (50 is what you want).

Your test strips are virtually worthless and will haunt you the rest of the summer until you get a high quality test kit and manage your pool correctly.

Welcome! :wave:

Have you really studied Pool School? I mean, until you feel like
dizzy.gif

They key to our approach is accurate testing and knowledge, so you only add what the pool needs. That foaming algaecide is using up your precious chlorine, just as an example of adding something your pool doesn't need.

Test strips..
irked.gif

[center:2vyrojvn]
file.php
[/center:2vyrojvn]

Ok I just took a sample to the pool store, they tested it (with there test strips and computer) the results are all levels are normal with the exception of FC of 0. You are right if what they say is accurate then I definitely cannot rely on my test strips.....she recommended 7 bags of calcium hypochlorite which is 76% at 6.50 a bag. Now I am not sure as I added 6 gallons of bleach last night 8%. And still have an fc of 0. Can I add bleach instead of there shock? How much if so. My pool is vinyl and 27ft round and 54inches deep and I am getting approximately 19000.

Your chlorine is being consumed by organics in the pool. You must keep adding chlorine until they are all killed, then your chlorine will hold better.

Their test strips (even with a computer) are not much better so assuming they are correct is a big leap.

You need to get your own good test kit so you can finish this up correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.