Plaster/Fiberglass upper pool, coping and fiberglass problem

May 17, 2013
Indiana
You can see the problem, I worked in the masonry business for years and my father still does, so the repair itself should not be a problem, but not really sure what to do, My personal thought, was to counter sink some long tapcon fasteners through the coping and fiberglass into the concrete decking and use some kind of colored sealant for waterproofing and aesthetics after using a chopsaw with a diamond cut off wheel to remove the broken concrete and patch new concrete tying it to the old and sinking some rebar straight down.

The cheap patch stuff is from the previous owner the same one who threw pucks at the pool the more green it got, then if that didn't work went to the pool store/ wal mart and bought the shiniest box or bottle and dumped the whole thing in not joking im related to him. Also after changing the filter,i noticed the spider piece that held the laterals someone tried to repair it with elmers glue. :hammer:
Back on topic.

Re: Plaster/Fiberglass upper pool, coping and fiberglass pro

What is your plan for the cracks in the deck? My previous owner issue is that they filled cracks with some sort of patch that looks terrible, not smooth, doesn't match, etc. My thoughts are to grind down the bad patch job, use a self-leveling filler (with backer as needed), and then use a concrete coating (rolled on) to make the decking look new. I haven't heard great feedback on any of the coatings, but am okay with redoing it every few years as opposed to looking at the cruddy shape it's in now.

Re: Plaster/Fiberglass upper pool, coping and fiberglass pro

For me personally im going to grind out,back fill and patch the cracks now that the underlying problem is fixed then probably use sundek or something similiar to cover everything over then install either masonry or tile coping eventually, if your cracking is from settlement then what you describe is probably the best way to go for you, if you have another problem and can correct it then you can use a decorative concrete coating to cover the patches as well as the rest of it. I have personally done this on a few homes one of which was about 10 years ago and every year we go to a cook out there and it still looks great however that wasn't a roll on. There are some epoxy based roll on coatings that are pretty Bad *** but expect to spend some dough, for something decent that is outdoor rated, that last in the 5-8 year range, if prices havent changed to much in the last couple years it used be about 300 per 5 gal in that range. Plus your pigment/color and depending on the type of concrete you have, and you may need a primer first to bond it to the concrete just depends on the coating and your concrete. Also some of that stuff sets up pretty fast so you can lose a bunch of money in a hurry if you dont know what your getting into, 300 bucks for a 5 gal boat anchor tends to sting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.