CYA of 25 after a year of Trichlor tabs?

kwolfe

Mar 28, 2013
Central PA
Hi everyone. Well we are in year two of our new pool and loving it. (I will post pics once the new grass grows in :) )

I am planning on following the BBB this year. I did not purchase a new Nature 2 cartridge or more trichlor tabs, however my garage has 12 bottles of bleach in it. :mrgreen:

I opened the pool in the begining of April and didn't really do much to it. Well, with all of the dirt and stone I had been moving (and lack of chlorine) the pool got a little cloudy so I decided to shock it. I did the calc and for 29k gallons I putin 8 gallons of 8.75% bleach. The next day, it looked great.

My calc was based upon having a CYA of 70 (so I thought I remembered). I rechecked the CYA yesterday and today...twice) with my Taylor K2005C that I bought last year. These are my results:

FC = 4
TC = 4
PH = 7.1
CA = 280
TA = 90
CYA = approx 25 (The vile was filled about to the top when I couldnt see the dot anymore which was a little about 30)

My question is, after a year of using trichlor tabs, is it possible to have CYA of only 25 after using trichlor tabs all last year? If so, then I am darn happy Just so you know, they started the pool on trichlor and did not add anything else when the start up guy came.

It might make sense since when closing the pool, we did drain the water down below the skimmers (solid loop lock cover so no snow or rain). Also, I backwash the DE every month + rain + plus splashing kids running back and forth to the diving board.

Gues I should put a couple of pucks in the chlorinator and get to 30-40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.