Help with cya

May 18, 2013
Hello all. I am new to the bbc method and had a few questions. I bought a taylor k2006 kit. my ph 7.4, FC-9, ta-90, and cya is reading 90. I just opened my pool last week. The only chemical I added after opening is two bags of dichlor shock. I was confused on how to test the cya. I am supposed to keep adding the cloudy solution until the dot completely disappears, or just barely disappears? This test is tricky for me because I sometimes can not see the dot and then it will appear again in seconds. I do not know why I would have such a high cya level if I have not added any conditioner. Could my cya level be falsely reading because I just shocked my pool with dichlor? I would not expect shocking 1 time would bring my cya that high. I filled about 3/4 of my pool with fresh water this year. Could I be getting a false reading because my cya is zero? any tips on reading the cya test with the taylor kit? Thanks Jeremy

Hi, Jeremy, Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I can't fully explain why your CYA is high, although I hate dichlor....it is troublesome to use for shock.

What I can help with is your CYA is certainly high....perhaps not that high, though. Reread the directions on how to perfdorm the test and then try the test over and over from the same sample (pour it back and forth) and then take the avberage of what you see.....that'll be close.

You'll get very good at that test in time.

What does your water look like?

water is clear. I was confused on when testing: Does the dot need to completely disappear, or barely disappear? Is is possible to get false high cya readings if I resonantly shocked my pool? Thanks again, Jeremy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.