On the right track but need a little advice

May 29, 2012
Thomasville, NC
Hello I opened my pool about a month ago so it would be ready when nice weather hit. The past two years we had run the Perma Salt system and I noticed that towards the end of the season last year I started having some green algae show up. I have been wanting to take the Perma Salt system off ever since I found this site and the BBB method, but I just couldn't talk the wife into it. So this year I convinced her that the cartridge in the system had went bad and was going to cost too much to replace, so I've won that battle. I didn't have a test kit to start with this year so I went to the Pool Store and got the water tested. I began the shock process and used Walmart 7.86% bleach and the pool started turning from GREEN to turquoise blue pretty quickly. I gave it a little while and poured some more in there and I got lucky and the pool cleared up. I could see the bottom and the pool was actually pretty clean and clear. Well I intended on ordering a test kit, and we had a series of monsoons for about 2 weeks and it turned cold again. Well I let the pool go again and it was actually more GREEN than before last Friday. I went and purchased a test kit from Leslies last Friday and tested the water and of course I had no Chlorine in the pool so I started shocking again. I used The Pool Calculator to obtain the correct dosage for the shock level. Now the water is no longer green but is very cloudy. I normally shock overnight, but yesterday I brought it to shock level which was 16 but I calculated for a level of 18, and by yesterday evening it was down to 5. I thought that was actually pretty good considering the amount of sun that we had yesterday. I checked the level this morning and it was at 3. Do I need to keep shocking the pool or what do I need to do to get it sparkling clean and clear. Here are my current test results.

FC - 3
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 100
CH - 100
CYA - 40

Keep the FC at shock level until you lose 1 FC or less overnight, CC is .5 or less, and the water is clear. You haven't met all three simultaneously, so you keep it up.

You're real close, but sand filters are notoriously slow at clearing a swamp. Keep brushing to keep the crud in suspension so the filter can grab it. You might also consider pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Here are some pictures to give an idea of what I'm dealing with. I can see the bottom step of the ladder but that is all I can see of the bottom of the pool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369227468526.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369227468526.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 54
You should be filtering on low speed for that little filter (get a bigger filter in your future plans) but because it is small, it's gonna take awhile to clear your water.

Meanwhile, you should continue the shock process as described by the article in Pool School.

I didn't know that. I've always run it on high when trying to clear it up. I appreciate the advice. As far as the size of the filter, that's just what came with it. It'll have to do for right now. But thanks again for the tips. And I'll be starting the shock process again as soon as I get home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.