CYA disappearing & puck question.

May 13, 2012
I opened my pool a few weeks ago (It was a breeze by the way, thanks to TFP). Upon opening, my CYA was right around 35. And, I tested it a week later, just to be sure. Still at 35.

I did my monthly CYA test last night, and the water in the tube was clear as can be when the water reached the very top. My pool is around 28,500 gallons. I have vacuumed to waste one time, which hardly dropped the water at all (with one garden hose running into the pool). And we drained about an inch of water off the top due to heavy rain a week ago. Could that be enough to have made the CYA drop THAT much? I would THINK not, but who knows???? My CYA test regent bottle will be a year old in July, it has been stored inside the house. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it? I tested again this morning for the heck of it, and got the same results as last night.

I do have some pucks left over from before I stated TFP methods, I kept them around in case I ever needed to boost CYA this year. If this new CYA level is correct, how many would I need to raise my CYA back up to the 35-40 range? The following link is to the pucks that I have.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... mmer-Tabs/

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about your first question.

But for the second, you can use the Pool Calculator to see what effects the trichlor pucks will have on your pool.
Near the bottom, there is a section titled "Effects of adding chemicals," where you can add in your pucks (make sure you have filled in the size of your pool at the top). Based on your link, they each weigh 7 oz. Based on a 28,500 gallon pool, the Pool Calculator tells us that each puck will raise FC by 1.7, raise CYA by 1, lower pH by 0.09, and raise salt by 1.4.

I'm sure someone else will be along to answer your first question. :)

Mr. Blue said:
Not sure about your first question.

But for the second, you can use the Pool Calculator to see what effects the trichlor pucks will have on your pool.
Near the bottom, there is a section titled "Effects of adding chemicals," where you can add in your pucks (make sure you have filled in the size of your pool at the top). Based on your link, they each weigh 7 oz. Based on a 28,500 gallon pool, the Pool Calculator tells us that each puck will raise FC by 1.7, raise CYA by 1, lower pH by 0.09, and raise salt by 1.4.

I'm sure someone else will be along to answer your first question. :)

Thanks! Never noticed that the Pool Calculator did that. :)

From the link you provided said:
We added Power Crystal compounds to our high-quality 3-inch chlorine tablet to prevent algae growth and clarify your water.
This could be code for an algaecide added to these tablets. Without knowing exactly what these "Power Crystals" are, I wouldn't use them. Plus, the trichlor % seems low at ~79%. Most of the purer trichlor tabs have around 90% concentration of trichlor. This is further evidence that these tabs contain other ingredients.

As for your CYA drop, the rain alone would not have caused it to drop from 35 to 0. Your reagent should be fine given that it was stored in a climate-controlled area. My reagent is also approaching one year and I'm still getting consistent results. This is a bit of a long shot, but it is possible that you may have a bacteria that consumes CYA and turns it into ammonia or nitrogen gas. If it is the former, it will consume chlorine at a high rate. When you can, please post a full set of test results.

Another dumb question. How can I see exactly where my CYA is, since my tube only reads up to (down to???) 30? I just know at 30 (the top of my tube) the water still clear. So I can see if it is completely gone or just lowered?

Also, my pool seems to still be holding chlorine okay. Just having to add bleach every other day. Granted starting last night, I now have pucks in the water with my attempt to raise my CYA...

Thanks! :)

BoDarville said:
From the link you provided said:
We added Power Crystal compounds to our high-quality 3-inch chlorine tablet to prevent algae growth and clarify your water.
This could be code for an algaecide added to these tablets. Without knowing exactly what these "Power Crystals" are, I wouldn't use them. Plus, the trichlor % seems low at ~79%. Most of the purer trichlor tabs have around 90% concentration of trichlor. This is further evidence that these tabs contain other ingredients.

As for your CYA drop, the rain alone would not have caused it to drop from 35 to 0. Your reagent should be fine given that it was stored in a climate-controlled area. My reagent is also approaching one year and I'm still getting consistent results. This is a bit of a long shot, but it is possible that you may have a bacteria that consumes CYA and turns it into ammonia or nitrogen gas. If it is the former, it will consume chlorine at a high rate. When you can, please post a full set of test results.

How would I find out about bacteria? Chlorine is staying in the pool just as well as it did last year (adding bleach every other day). Will try to get full test results asap, may not be today though. I have a crazy schedule through Monday :)

That bacteria issue only affects badly neglected pools over the winter....yours is not a candidate.

Unless you have an autofill disguising a leak, there is no answer for your CYA disappearance. If it's holding chlorine just like it did, your CYA is there but not showing on the test.

The CYA (R-0013) reagent is inert so the chances of it being bad are really negligible.

You can buy a view tube that will go to 20 ppm from TFTestkits.net or any place that carries Taylor chemistry.

I like it MUCH MUCH better than the CYA test found in the K-2006 but you will use more reagent

duraleigh said:
That bacteria issue only affects badly neglected pools over the winter....yours is not a candidate.

Unless you have an autofill disguising a leak, there is no answer for your CYA disappearance. If it's holding chlorine just like it did, your CYA is there but not showing on the test.

The CYA (R-0013) reagent is inert so the chances of it being bad are really negligible.

You can buy a view tube that will go to 20 ppm from TFTestkits.net or any place that carries Taylor chemistry.

I like it MUCH MUCH better than the CYA test found in the K-2006 but you will use more reagent

I MAY already have that tube. I accidentally bought one that was huge last year. And, I have a large bottle of the r-0013. So I will have to see if I kept that tube. Maybe it will work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.