First opening

waterbugs57

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2012
SW Pennsylvania
Hello all. This is my first spring opening. I just tested my water and p,urged the numbers into the calculator. I am confused. First let me say that the pool is at 66degrees and is clear. Hooray! It is still covered but circulating. We are constructing a deck and I don't want to uncover until it is built. Numbers are FC .5. CC .5 TC 1 TA 50 CH. 100. CYA 20+ ( real confusion here) and PH 7.5. Do I really want to use bleach instead of trichlor to raise chlorine? With cya so low and ph at target, I am not sure what would be the best route here. I know that the few weeks we were running last year, I struggled with low chlorine and CYA levels, but got by ok I guess. Our pool was installed in August and this site was so helpful. Anyone have some guidance for me? Thanks- Melinda

Your TA is too low for using tablets - the ph and TA will drop like rocks if you use tablets now. Do you already have the tablets? Using bleach and bumping your CYA level manually with an addition of stabilizer is cheaper in the long run. I would only use tablets if you have them already on hand, just get your TA up to 120 before you start.

You probably struggled maintaining chlorine because your CYA was too low last year.

No tablets. Start with the huge quantity of chlorine as per the calculator? Baking soda also huge amount, calcium chloride and liquid stabilizer? I am going to add the recommended amounts and test again? I keep telling myself that I can get this. If I could maintain a 100 gallon marine tank full of living things I should be able to do the same with a pool that will be safe to swim in :), am I moving in the right direction? Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Unless you have a brand new heater with a warranty to maintain you can skip the calcium chloride because it's irrelevant in vinyl pools. Skip the liquid stabilizer it's too expensive. Get Walmart's stabilizer/conditioner for $16 for 4 lbs. Let it dissolve in an old sock or nylon knee high in front of the return. Don't test for it for 5-7 days but 'ASSUME' its in there and maintain the FC according to the CYA chlorine chart. Use the pool calc to determine how much to add to get you to 50 ppm. How much baking soda are you calculating and what are you targeting? 60-80 if you are going to use bleach is fine.

If I can survive my induction into pool ownership, (see screenname) become a Moderator on TFP and then start my own pool service, you can absolutely do this.

Thanks, frustratedpoolmom. I am using TFP target numbers. For TA you are recommending 70? According to calculator I need 6 12lb bags of baking soda. I am not sure what you are referring to in your recommendation of 50 in your post. Will you clarify for me. Thanks for your help and motivation.

Dave, I haven't taken the cover off but when I lift it up and look at the water it looks totally clea
Well, that's a nice closing job.

If it were my pool, I would put a small jug of clorox in (stir it around a bit with a board or boat paddle) and then adress TA when I took the cover off and got the more important parameters adjusted

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.