Fernco Fittings

Aug 19, 2012
I currently own an intex 15x48 pool and this spring I am going to add a skimmer and extra return. I am going to hard plumb but was wondering instead of usings unions for disconnect in the winter can I use Fernco fittings. I usually take my pool down in the winter and using these fittings make taking the plumbing apart much easier.

I have used fernco fittings, but they tend to be less reliable then other fittings. With that said, if you keep an eye on them, you may be fine. They tend to degrad fast in the sun. The better ones are those that have a metal outer cuff. Another option (that I use) is pvc compression fittings to connect two straight pieces of pipe. See: http://cammackranchsupply.com/store/images/P/fittings 001-01.jpg (just posting the url for the picture...I am not suggesting buying from them) They are not much cheaper than a union, but do allow for some flexibility in alignment and pipe length.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.