Time Sensitive: Liner Vacuum

Rob

May 23, 2007
Hi everyone,

Finally are filling up the pool as we speak. Got the liner adjusted to fit, and the water is going in, and it looks like we'll have no wrinkles!

Now the sticky bit. They are using a rather noisy large vacuum to hold the pool liner in place while it fills with water. Been filling since around 5 pm with a garden hose, and it's going to go quite a bit longer. The vacuum is very noisy, can hear it inside the house somewhat, with the windows closed, and our neighbours are close.

Here's the big question. Can we shut off the water/vacuum in a couple hours and leave them off overnight?

Guy who repaired the vinyl liner said yes, just leave the vacuum on 15 minutes in the morning before turning on the water.

Guys who've been doing the work on the pool have said absolutely not, if we shut off the vacuum, we'll end up having to drain the pool and restart.

Thoughts?

I'm hugely sensitive about my sleep, so I always assume the neighbours are too. I know if a neighbour had something like that running all night, I'd be upset. Its a constant hum that is enough to drive someone mad. On the other hand, I don't want to have to drain it and start over. Wish the guy had held off on turning on the hose till first thing in the morning.

Anyone with actual experience with this either way?

It depends on the how full the pool is. You really need that vacuum till the water is about one foot deep in the shallow end. You don't need the vacuum when the water is up to 18" below the skimmer. In between those two the vacuum is good but not as critical as at lower water levels. At the same time you don't want to create a situation where the builder can blame you for some problem that comes up later just because you did something that you weren't told to do.

Rob said:
I'm hugely sensitive about my sleep, so I always assume the neighbours are too. I know if a neighbour had something like that running all night, I'd be upset. Its a constant hum that is enough to drive someone mad. On the other hand, I don't want to have to drain it and start over. Wish the guy had held off on turning on the hose till first thing in the morning.

Are you sure you are not one of my kids? They also keep asking until they get an answer they like too. j/k :lol:

Seriously, what are we talking about, one night? It's just not that big a deal. I work shift work and often sleep during the day, so I know all about light or little sleep. One or two nights isn't going to kill anyone. If you have to discuss it with the neighbors, don't present it as an option - just a fact, which you apologize for. A good neighbor will understand and a bad neighbor can't be pleased anyway.

Otherwise, if you are comfortable with having to start over and being to blame, then turn it off. Because, like Jason said, if something goes wrong, the finger will be pointing back at you. :?

Wasn't asking again for a different answer, was just hoping for some definate experience with it. Even hearing from someone who turned off the vacuum at some point, and had to refill would have helped, since I'd sleep better knowing it had to be done.

We'll probably leave it on, it's about 3 feet in the deep end or so. Its a cold night, so they should have their windows shut.

Unfortunately, it's 11:00 pm, so going over and knocking on their doors to inform them might be counterproductive at this stage.

Thanks for the input though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.