SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am throwing around the idea of having video surveilence hooked up, to both front and back corners of my garage, above my pool mainly because I can't see it from the house and I want to be able to moniter it at any time. The pool will be located on the other side of my garage making it impossible to view from the house. It is the only place I can put the pool.

I don't want to spend $1,000 or more on such a unit. I am looking more in the ball park of $350 or less for a whole unit. Anyone have any info on video surveilence on personal property? I'd appreciate any links and or feed back on the matter. Thanks!

If you want to see any detail you need cameras with at least 500 TV lines resolution, more is better.
If you want to maintain the recording for any length of time you'll need about 1 TB of hard drive space especially if you're installing more than 4 cameras.

Depending on the lighting at your location you may want a lot of night vision distance or, if your area is well lit at night, it may not be much of a concern.

I'm looking for 2 cameras, 1 on each corner of the garage looking down on the pool. I do have a telephone pole with an exterior light on it below the pool.

Here is a link to the one we got at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swann-8-Chann ... g/17188985

We have not hooked it up yet but, it is supposed to record from all cameras at once. The one we purchased and returned in order to get this one only recorded on one camera at a time and I had to set it up to record on the computer. The 8 camera one has its own DVR.. It also works with a smartphone.

Walmart has other brands also. And different configurations. Good luck with your search.

Casey, my husband and I own a security company and install CCTV equipment almost daily. I wouldn't recommend placing an IR camera on a pole with a bright outdoor light. The IR may not ever activate because the light will make the camera think it's still daylight. If it does activate, it may produce a poor quality video that looks white or fuzzy. If you must do it that way, place some sort of shield or "visor" between the light and the camera. If the light is bright enough you may not need IR to get a decent picture.

Menards has a whole system with DVR that you connect to your TV or computer, direct wire not wifi or wireless. Has 7 or 9 cameras(color and night vision) for around $400.00 I missed the sale they had on them last week for $250.00 with 4 cameras.

Samantha_in_AL said:
Casey, my husband and I own a security company and install CCTV equipment almost daily. I wouldn't recommend placing an IR camera on a pole with a bright outdoor light. The IR may not ever activate because the light will make the camera think it's still daylight. If it does activate, it may produce a poor quality video that looks white or fuzzy. If you must do it that way, place some sort of shield or "visor" between the light and the camera. If the light is bright enough you may not need IR to get a decent picture.

I wasn't attaching anything to the light pole. I was just stating that we have a light pole so if at night someone would try to go for a late night swim, they would be seen due to the light pole doing it's job of lighting the area. (wouldn't be the first time someone bombed my pool at night at the other house! The Rottweiler was unfortunately off duty at the time lounging in the kitchen) :shock: The cameras would be attached to the garage. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.