Where do I go from here?

May 20, 2013
NW suburbs, IL
I have ordered a TF-100 test kit, but in the mean time I'm at a loss of what to do. Right now the pool is a cloudy light green and I can see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end. I took a sample up to the pool store yesterday and added per their instructions 5 bags of burnout 35. The Pool store also suggested not adding anything to lower the PH since we were expected to have some heavy rain hit that evening. I Also just opened the pool this past Saturday 5/18/13 and had the sand in the filter changed as well. I'm wondering if this is just a matter of filtering or if i need more chemicals.
Thanks for any advice

Here are my results before adding the burnout 35.
PH: 7.9
TC:1.4
FC: 1.4
TA:216
ATA:186
CYA:100
TH:400
Copper: 0

Results 24hrs after adding the burnout 35/Rain

PH: 7.8
TC:6.5
FC:6.5
TA:212
ATA:177
CYA:100
TH:400
Copper:0.2

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming those results are correct, you have a number of problems. By far the largest is your very high CYA level. Worse, it might actually be much higher than it appears, since the common CYA tests will report any level over 100 as 100. You really want to get that CYA level below 100, and preferably down to something like 50 or 60 (unless you have a SWG you haven't mentioned). The extreme CYA level is preventing you from every really killing off all of the algae.

Much less importantly, your TA level is too high, and your FC level isn't even high enough (given your CYA level) for normal day to day use (but lowering CYA will take care of that).

Another thing to keep in mind is that burnout 35 is by far the most expensive form of chlorine, very good for the pool store, not so good for you.

The solution to high CYA levels is to replace water. That is a fairly major project, and I suggest you don't start until you can confirm your CYA level with your own test kit.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

If their CYA test is anywhere near accurate, you will need to consider doing a series of partial drains/fills to lower the CYA level.
The CYA test is not accurate above 100 and reads anything 100 and above as 100 :eek:

What have you been using to chlorinate the pool?

The Burn out 35 (lithium hypochlorite), altho pricey, does not add extra CYA, which is a good thing!

I suggest you maintain FC of about 10 - 12 until you get your TF100 and post a full set of test results.

ETA: sorry for repeat info. Jason types faster :oops: You might want to locate the best price for liquid chlorine/bleach. But, if price is no problem, the Burnout 35 will work.

Oh, your new best friend, other than all of us :wink: , is The Pool Calculator.com. Link in my sig

Hi, welcome to TFP! (everyone types faster than me, but I do have some additional information!)
I would not buy anymore of the burnout 35. It is a lithium hypochlorite product, which is about the most expensive chlorine you can buy. They probably sold you that product since it is the only dry chlorine that does not add CYA or Calcium to your pool. From the test results you posted, your calcium and CYA levels are too high, and CYA is probably higher than 100 ppm. I would take a sample of the pool water and mix it with an equal amount of tap water and have the CYA level tested again, then double that result to get a better idea where your CYA level is. If your CYA still tests at 100 or more then you will need to drain and replace 1/3 to 1/2 the water to lower the CYA level. Replacing some of the water should also lower your calcium,(unless you have very hard water in your area).

After the CYA is taken care of I would use liquid chlorine to complete the shock process on your pool. Liquid chlorine can be purchased from a pool store or you can use plain unscented household bleach from the grocery store. You have already taken the first step to getting control of your pool by purchasing the TF100. It will prove its worth while you are completing the shock process. In case you haven't done so, please read pool school, especially shocking your pool and defeating algae.

Okay, I entered the Wrong CYA level for the second day. CYA actually registered at 115 24hrs after the burnout 35. I also just found out that my mom added biogaurd silk tabs to the chlorinator, which i assume is why the CYA level increased. If i partially drain and refill I would be filling with well water and that is why the calcium is so high. When they opened the pool on Saturday it was only halfway full and we had to fill it back up, So is it going to make much difference doing it again? Sorry for all the question. Im a new pool owner and just so confused. Is there any other way to lower CYA without draining?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.