Testing spa/fountain water?

stanw

May 20, 2013
I'm currently testing my pool water and trying to get caught up with learning about it in Pool School.

1. Do I need to also test my spa separately, or since the same water flows through both my pool and spa, do I just focus on the pool?

2. If I do need to do separate tests for the spa, do I just calculate the size of the spa and run the same tests that I would for the pool?

3. I also have a large fountain that I was previously just pouring chlorine into, though now that I am learning about all of this, I am realizing that it too can be affected by CH, PH, etc. (the inside looks like it might have some scaling effects going on) If I want to test the fountain would I simply calculate the size of it and test it the same way as a pool?

Thanks in advance.

stanw said:
I'm currently testing my pool water and trying to get caught up with learning about it in Pool School.

1. Do I need to also test my spa separately, or since the same water flows through both my pool and spa, do I just focus on the pool?

2. If I do need to do separate tests for the spa, do I just calculate the size of the spa and run the same tests that I would for the pool?

3. I also have a large fountain that I was previously just pouring chlorine into, though now that I am learning about all of this, I am realizing that it too can be affected by CH, PH, etc. (the inside looks like it might have some scaling effects going on) If I want to test the fountain would I simply calculate the size of it and test it the same way as a pool?

Thanks in advance.
Just have all the pumps running for half an hour so the water has had time to circulate and mix and test the pool. Same thing with the fountain. I'm assuming it spills into the pool? Then it also draws from the pool and the same advice applies.

For fountains that independent of the pool, you can use similar maintenance techniques, but the issues are a bit different, and generally the water care techniques used are different. Most of the testing is similar/same but what you do given the levels is somewhat different.

Sorry, I should have been more clear -- the fountain is completely independent of the pool/spa.

1. Is there any info on fountain care/maintenance on this site?
2. Regarding running the pump, my pump was running the other day and I did some tests near the end of the day, and the pump turned off though I did not realize it. Does this make my test results inaccurate? I am guessing that my tests were done within 20-30 minutes of the pump turning off.

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.