Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: small crack in filter valve :(

1. Back To Top    #1

small crack in filter valve :(

Above the pressure gage there is a tiny tiny hair line crack leaking a small steady stream of water. is there any way to patch this? If not how much would a new filter valve cost?? Also, would this be responsible for a LOT of air bubbles coming from my pool return lines? Thanks
    ~10,000 gallon gunite pool with spa that overflows
    1hp Hayward pump, filter
    replaced sand on may 24

2. Back To Top    #2
    Leaks after the pump don't normally lead to bubbles in the return. It usually takes a leak before the pump to get air into the system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

android6011,

Can you post a picture of your filter valve?

Also, can you update your signature with the details of your pool and your pool equipment? This will help us help you better. Here are some guidelines on what we find useful information in your signature. http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3662

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Apparently its common for the hayward/vari-flo valves to crack/split near the pressur gauge. I have one that split pretty bad. It was patched a few times with epoxy. Eventually, this spring I replaced it with a new valve for 175.00
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Molson
    Apparently its common for the hayward/vari-flo valves to crack/split near the pressur gauge. I have one that split pretty bad. It was patched a few times with epoxy. Eventually, this spring I replaced it with a new valve for 175.00
    Thats what I did was put epoxy "marine" on it and so far so good.
    ~10,000 gallon gunite pool with spa that overflows
    1hp Hayward pump, filter
    replaced sand on may 24