New Pool Owner... and Clueless.

jautery

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Port Arthur, Texas
Just bought a house with a pool. Yay for me. :party:

Got the keys and went to check things out, and my pool was BROWN.

Over the last 48 hours, while working intermittently, I began to shock the pool. I didn't have time to test with anything other than the cheap strips from Wal-mart, but I figured this would give me a head-start for my days off.

My water is now a light green and cloudy. Here are the results from the pool store tests (havent bought my own because I can't figure out the discount code for TFP supporters):

FC 0.65
TC 10.3
pH 8.8
TA 113
CH 280
CYA 9

I have added an appropriate amount of Muriatic Acid to correct the pH. Pool guy recommended NoMorProb for algae prevention (which I have since learned is not actually necessary) so I added 10oz of that, but will be discontinuing its use.

With all that being said, should my next steps be Bleach and Stabilizer?? Can I add them the same time?

Any and all suggestion/direction appreciated!

Welcome to TFP.

I'd be suspicious of any pool store test results until you know they can be trusted. They are seldom even as good as guesses.

Ignore the pH for now. High chlorine levels can mess with the test.

I'd stick with chlorine only for the near term until you can get your FC to hold.

Get a good test kit. It will save you many times its cost even before this summer is over. The TF-100 at TFTestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006 available on the same site are the ones you need, and if you order now you will probably have it by the end of the week.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Regarding the discount. You have to become a forum supporter and then you will get a code for the test kit discount:
click-here-to-become-a-troublefreepool-com-supporter-t183.html

What pH test reads that high? And what CYA test has that kind of accuracy? I would be suspicious of all the numbers.

Are you sure you have the TC and FC correct? That would mean your CC are 9+ which is VERY high and unusual, it should be 0.

You can add about 20ppm of CYA and then you need to maintain the FC at shock level. Note that the pH tests are generally not accurate when the FC > 10ppm

The tests he used seemed to be premeasured reagents in cuvettes, which he then would read via a handheld device... I will be ordering my own test kits and I have already made the donation through PayPal (I am guessing it will just take awhile to process). Just didn't know how the discount code would come to me... email, pm?

I will work on the chlorine and cya today while I am mucking about the other yard work. I'll wait for my test kits before I do anything else...

THANKS!

Ive been fighting with this pool for over a week now, and I am beginning to suspect my pool filter is not filtering anything at all. I cant remember if it was this site or not, but I read that if your sand filter isnt catching the tiny particles, you can add a bit of DE filter media.... my pump/filter immediately introduced said filter media directly into my pool. Am I safe in assuming this is not good, and that I need to recharge my filter with new sand?

So I manually backwashed the sand fikter yesterday... it did seem to clean it much better than just plain backwashing, but I cant tell any improvement in its filtering ability. The de media still flows through. Side note: the drum for the pool filter was only about half full of sand.... not sure how normal a level that is. And i have no clue how to check seals for the spider valve. Ive been shocking for two days now... keeping it above 12ppm fc, and I removed the step ladder (I was suspicious it was harboring algae). I am officially disheartened and un-enthused about all things pool. Any last ditch efforts before I resgin to highering a pool guy?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wish I could help you out with your filter questions but I am clueless, I have a cartridge filter. Please don't give up. Did you order your kit yet? It will be an invaluable tool and well worth the money. These folks will get you through it and get your pool sparkling.

jautery said:
Any last ditch efforts before I resgin to highering a pool guy?
Blasphemy!!

Seriously, we'll help you. First, even if the sand filter is working perfectly, it will take awhile, so you will have to have patience. I opened up my pool to no algae, but it was dirty from sediment that made it through the cover - could see the bottom fine, but it had a haze to it. After 3 days of 24/7 filtering, it still wasn't clear. Took 4 more days of part time filtering to get it crystal clear. My point is, it took a week and I was starting from relatively clean. You've only been at shock level two days - it will take some time.

As for the de coming back to the pool, can you catch it in a sock/nylon? Is there sand coming back as well? How often are you backwashing and what is your clean filter pressure?

I backwashed after I manually cleaned the sand two days ago, but havent since... under the assumption that backwashing too often will keep the sand from filtering at its best. Clean filter pressure is 11psi (I say clean, but ive never seen my pressure move from 11 psi since I replaced the gauge a week ago. 0 for backwash, so I know the gauge isnt stuck, but 11 at all times filtering.) And I now know for sure my filter is a problem... sock over return for 60 sec and I coukd see little ant bodies and algae that apparently passed right through.

Two more things I would check. First, take apart the multiport and look at the spider gasket. Google "inspect spider gasket" and you should have a few DIYs to look at. If the gasket is cracked, scored, or dried out, that could let stuff pass. Another thing to check is is the condition of the laterals. You'll have to remove the sand from the filter, but if a lateral or standpipe is broken, or if a lateral isn't seated properly, that could let stuff through. Is there any sand making it through the return and settling on the bottom of the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.