Does bleach go bad?

lulupalooza

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
Evans, GA
This morning I poured 174 oz of bleach into the pool while it was at 3ppm and tested it a bit ago. I ended up doing a Full CL test and TC was 3ppm. I got 2 bottles that had been sitting in my Mom's garage for at least 2 1/2 yrs. And used it the past 3 days, I bet it was no good. Well, I just dumped about 224 oz. of fresh since we are fixing to have a rain storm. I bet it goes up now! :lol:

lulupalooza...Yes it does go bad and very quickly if it gets worm. 2 years in the garage wouldn't surprise me if it was only salt water. This spring i got the last jugs at walmart and they usually have a lot of jugs I got the last 4 and I know they were way below 6%.

Hi LuLu

I test every batch of bleach I buy ---- Using 1000 ml (1 Liter) of UNCHLORINATED water (from a well or distilled), place .1 ml of the sample from your bleach bottle -- mix and test.

As for the dilution method for testing bleach I use a 1000 ml volumetric flask and a medical syringe used to perform the standard tuberculin “Tine” test. The syringe has a total capacity of 1 ml but is graduated in .01ml graduation intervals with major graduations at .1ml. The dilution method is accurate within .1 ml @20 deg C.
Testing is done using the FAS-DPD method, using a 25ml sample size, again yielding accuracy within .2 ppm in a 10000 to 1 dilution.

I have found the results to be repeatable with a 95% confidence level (in scientific terms [95 out of 100 tests]).

The results of the test is equal to the percentage of bleach.

Most Clorox Ultra tests around 6.5%

hamop78 said:
Hi LuLu

I test every batch of bleach I buy ---- Using 1000 ml (1 Liter) of UNCHLORINATED water (from a well or distilled), place .1 ml of the sample from your bleach bottle -- mix and test.

As for the dilution method for testing bleach I use a 1000 ml volumetric flask and a medical syringe used to perform the standard tuberculin “Tine” test. The syringe has a total capacity of 1 ml but is graduated in .01ml graduation intervals with major graduations at .1ml. The dilution method is accurate within .1 ml @20 deg C.
Testing is done using the FAS-DPD method, using a 25ml sample size, again yielding accuracy within .2 ppm in a 10000 to 1 dilution.

I have found the results to be repeatable with a 95% confidence level (in scientific terms [95 out of 100 tests]).

The results of the test is equal to the percentage of bleach.

Most Clorox Ultra tests around 6.5%

My hubby would freak if I started testing the actual bottles of bleach :lol: I should have known the clorox was no good because it had really no bleach smell, the other was a walmart brand and it was still sealed shut. But could tell that it might be weak because it didn't have that funny mixing look when it mixes with the water. (if that makes sense).

I usually buy my Clorox from Sam's Club, but I have gotten some home that was "DEAD" :shock: I took the whole lot back!! By testing each batch I am able to not waste my $$$$. --- 12 cases, 3 X 182 oz per case, $6.50/case -- $78.00 + tax saved.

I also found that Aldi is cheap, but not reliable on the percentage of bleach shown on the label. I bought some last summer that was labeled 6% but when I got it home and did the test it was 2.3%. Back it went :evil: They argued --- I won!!!

I do injection into the pool with a peristaltic pump based on testing and the bleach calculator. By knowing the percentage, I know exactly what injection rate to set to get the results I want.

Most people don't go as far as I do, but the principle is the same. When you dump bleach into your pool, you expect to achieve a specific result. Without knowing what you're dumping, you have no idea what to expect. IMHO, there are two ways to go about it ---- Test :-D or PRAY :?:

I would like to thank hamop78 for instructions for testing my bleach! I found the generic brand (walmart) to have exactly as advertised (6%). Then tested my pool store which supposedly sells 12.5%. I was surprised that I got 17%. I thought it was a little expensive but convenient. Now I know I got a good deal! I'm going to test all my bleach.

I use a 2 liter soda bottle and a syringe we used to treat our cat for diabetes. (20 units = 0.2ml).

Jason M

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.