LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
Bolton Ontario Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I moved into this place 2 years ago, and the pool is 30 years old. I assume the sand filter is quite old, and have no idea when or if the sand has been changed.

My PSI usually runs at 15, and almost never moves off of that mark no matter what, if I leave it alone. Sometimes after I vaccum the pressure stays down at 10 or 11 PSI, where it was during the vacuum process. Then after Ibackwash, it goes back to 15. It is like my PSI goes in reverse, increasing after a backwash rather than decreasing.

Also, I suspect I am getting some very fine dust like material returned to the pool via the jets, as a couple hours after I vacuum spotless, I begin to see a small build up of the fine stuff.

Lastly, I have a suction side leak causing air bubbles in the pump basket and throught the return jets. Pum is new last year, and the lid is not the problem. How important is it to have this fixed?

Thanks!

Does your gauge go to 0 with the pump off?

Tie Twist said:
It is like my PSI goes in reverse, increasing after a backwash rather than decreasing.
This should not happen...I suspect your gauge.

Tie Twist said:
Also, I suspect I am getting some very fine dust like material returned to the pool via the jets, as a couple hours after I vacuum spotless, I begin to see a small build up of the fine stuff.
You can test this theory by putting a sock over the return to see what is getting through the filter.

Tie Twist said:
Lastly, I have a suction side leak causing air bubbles in the pump basket and throught the return jets. Pum is new last year, and the lid is not the problem. How important is it to have this fixed?
Small air bubbles are not a problem. Is air coming out of the return?

Thanks for your reply.

1. Definately not the gauge. I actually broke my guage over the winter, bought a new one, it reads exactly the same as the old one.

2. I will try the filter sock over the jets.

3. Yes, small bubbles come out of both return jets. Also, the punp basket has air in it at all times, maybe a little more than it did when I first moved in. I have tried to locate this with soapy water at all locations above ground near the pump, but can't find anything.

Tie Twist said:
Thanks for your reply.

1. Definately not the gauge. I actually broke my guage over the winter, bought a new one, it reads exactly the same as the old one.

2. I will try the filter sock over the jets.

3. Yes, small bubbles come out of both return jets. Also, the punp basket has air in it at all times, maybe a little more than it did when I first moved in. I have tried to locate this with soapy water at all locations above ground near the pump, but can't find anything.
Soapy water is great for finding air leaking out, but not so much for air leaking in. Try shaving cream. It's thicker and stays put. And if the bubbles go away, you know you're onto something. You might also see a hole developing in the foam as it gets sucked into the leak.

Good tip, thanks, I'll try that.
In your opinon Richard, at what point would you do somehting about that leak, if you felt it was underground?

Seeing those bubbles cioming out does annoy me, but so would that repair bill!

As far as the Sand filter goes, do you think this backwards pressure issue could happen with low sand levels or some sort of internal issue like that? Was thinking about just replacing the filter, or the sand at least.

Tie Twist said:
Good tip, thanks, I'll try that.
In your opinon Richard, at what point would you do somehting about that leak, if you felt it was underground?

Seeing those bubbles cioming out does annoy me, but so would that repair bill!

As far as the Sand filter goes, do you think this backwards pressure issue could happen with low sand levels or some sort of internal issue like that? Was thinking about just replacing the filter, or the sand at least.
At the end of the season. And then I'd leave it exposed for the winter so the dirt gets rained on and gets settled before I redid the concrete.

I have a DE filter, so I can't help you diagnose any deeper on a sand filter.

Sorry, what I meant was, not when in the year to do it, but does it need to be done at all?
How bad would it have to be before you would do a major repair like that?
Is it really a big deal to have an air leak of this nature?

Tie Twist said:
Sorry, what I meant was, not when in the year to do it, but does it need to be done at all?
How bad would it have to be before you would do a major repair like that?
Is it really a big deal to have an air leak of this nature?
No way of knowing.

As a mechanic by trade, I've learned that leaks don't go away. They only get worse.

You still don't know that your air leak is underground. There have been threads here where people have agonized for weeks trying to find a leak, and finally cured it by cleaning and relubricating the strainer basket O-ring!

If I was 100% sure that I had an underground leak, I'd want it fixed ASAP. But I'd keep my fingers crossed and hope to make it through the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.