Another New Pool Owner

May 21, 2013
I bought a house with a pool last July (this is my first pool). It is in-ground gunite holding 22,500 gallons. I live in the New Orleans area. I do have a Taylor DPD test kit.

I am having lots of trouble keeping my levels balanced. Last summer, my main challenge was my cholorine level was too high and I could not get it down. I was not adding any granulated chlorine and my chlorinator was turned down as far as it would go. Finally, I added a chlorine neutralizer that got the level back in the proper range and it was fine through the fall and winter.

Now I am having the opposite issue-I can't keep the chlorine levels up. For the past month, I have shocked the pool every week with Power Powder Plus. Over the next several days, the chlorine level slowly drops and after a week is zero. The chrlorinator is turned up all the way and has 5 3" tablets loaded. The tabs are dissolving but I am not sure how quickly that should be happening. I am not adding any other chemicals except for PHOSfree. I have been in this same cycle for over a month. Water is clear but there are a few spots of yellow algae that keep growing on the walls and around the steps. We have not had any rain in a week, but before that it was raining a lot. During this past week without rain, this pattern did not change.

Here is my latest water analysis from Leslie's.

FAC-0 Low
TAC-0 Low
CH-220
CYA-99
TA-120
pH-7.6
Copper-0
Iron-0
TDS-400
Pho-500 High

My phosphates have always been zero until the past 2 weeks. Yesterday, I added PhOSFree per the instructions from Leslie's to try and address the phosphate level.

I would appreciate guidance on how to solve my chlorine problem. I suspect it has something to do with my high CYA level. Any other guidance is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to tfp, Razorhorn :wave:

Razorhorn said:
I would appreciate guidance on how to solve my chlorine problem. I suspect it has something to do with my high CYA level.
I think you have hit your culprit here. First, it is likely that the leslie testing is incorrect and your cya maybe much higher. I am assuming your taylor kit does not have the cya test? The first thing I would suggest is to get an appropriate test kit so that you know your cya level and also so you have the other tests including the fas-dpd chlorine test (which is much better than the dpd test you have). See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison..I would get the tf-100, it has the most bang for buck.

Once you know what your cya level really is (and I would bet it is higher than what the leslies value is), then you will know how much drain/refilling you need to do. Then when you cya level is down, you can start the shocking process to eliminate your algae problem.

Razorhorn said:
I was not adding any granulated chlorine and my chlorinator was turned down as far as it would go.
What type of chlorinator do you have? Trichlor puck based?

Welcome! :wave:

Oh, boy... you have been Pool-stored. The condition you have is what pool stores call "chlorine lock" but really it's just overstabilized, which renders whatever chlorine you put in ineffective. Either way, the solution is the same: drain and refill. And as wet and low as NOLA is, that could be a problem. An empty pool may well float and break pipes.

You're no stranger to shovelling money at the pool, so spend some more. Go to http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... st-p4.html and order up a TF100 with the XL option. For a change, it will be money well-spent. I also recommend the speedstir. It makes things so much easier and almost fun, and no one who has one regrets buying it.

That accomplished, get yourself a drink and settle in to start reading Pool School. Read until you feel like
dizzy.gif
hypnotized.gif

Then perhaps read turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html or one of these inspirational threads
my-pool-experience-with-algae-t58756.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
testimony-this-is-why-you-should-do-bbb-t58451.html
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.